Defensewall and Returnil??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hugger, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

The more I'm using Defensewall the more I'm liking it. Someone here recommended it to me and I'm greatful.
    Now I've got a question or two.
    Will Defensewall and Returnil run together peacefully? Or am I going to go nuts trying to figure them out?
    Is it worth it to have Returnil free used on demand with DW?
    Thanks.
    Hugger (otherwise known as the eternal novice.)

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

From what I've read, DefenseWall is all you need. It seems to need very little if any setup out of the box. I trialed it with Sandboxie and no problems. I had Returnil on this box but don't remember if DefenseWall was there, too at that time. Having a Senior Moment right now.

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

DefenseWall and Returnil will work together. No issues at all.

Returnil free is a nice additional layer of protection. One reboot and you know anything that might've slipped through (very rare with DW) will be gone.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If you occasionally take a walk on the dark side of the web, then Returnil on demand can be handy. It will return your system partition like it was after rebooting. If you have other partitions, I think DefenseWall can be setup to somehow block access to them or protect them. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

When I go scary places, I turn on Returnil via Session Lock, open my browser with Sandboxie and do what I want. Sandboxie is setup to block access to my data partition so they compliment each other.

Also, Returnil is a very small download at 2.2MB and in task manager it's using less than 6,000K memory usage idling. Another cool use of Returnil is to download and try simple programs that don't require a reboot during a Returnil session and when you reboot they are gone. I've tried browsers, music players, monitoring programs and other stuff this way.

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Returnil is a great software, just from the aspect of being able to look at or test programs that don't need reboot. You can also open and test inside Sandboxie, but Returnil is the better for that sort of thing in my opinion. It's almost like having a lightweight, mini VM machine.

6. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Returnil works fine with DefenseWall.

I have it switched on when ever anyone else is using the computer.
    One thing i like about it is i can turn system protection on if i go away for a few days knowing that when i get home my system will be as i left it.

Its also nice to turn it on when i am on the beer as i am probably the most least trustworthy person in the house then :D

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Thanks all of you.
    I guess I'll give it a try.
    Hugger

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

For my normal use defensewall is enough for me. However there are times when i might feel the need to venture into unsafe territory so i enable returnil just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.