DefenseWall 2.20 released.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blackcat, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If the ActiveX control is inside the isolation layer of DW, it can't harm your system. You should understand than policy-based sandboxes are slightly different than virtualization-based sandboxes. Once you understand this, you'll see how DW protects you.

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

would defence wall be good to use in vista with Avast free antivirus and Comodo or no need to use defence wall with Comodo?

btw the ppl who use defence wall once they install it could they leave it and it will protect u automatically? or u would have to configure it urself?

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

You could still use it as another layer of defense

You can install and run and pretty much be set although you maybe have to select some of your apps to be trusted/untrusted depending on your liking. It's not that hard to figure out once you play with it. Some more advance stuff is a little harder but normally you don't mess with those.

Thanks,

Chris

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Chris12923

Being somewhat new to defenseWall myself maybe you can assist in something that has my attention. Under FILES & REGISTRY TRACKS it's accummalating quite a long list. Now you can't just DELETE these or else it'll remove completely those reg or file entries and some of them, strike that, a lot of them are valid, so can anything be done to transfer this filing up list to an alternate locale to free up space, or will this list continue to build in that manner to infinitely. I know it's an answer better suited perhaps to the developer, but maybe you experienced something of the same and can offer a solution.

Thanks EASTER

5. Chris12923

I haven't used defensewall much latley because I use the frozen snapshtot with nothing else. let me install it quickly and get right back to ya in case something changed.

Thanks,

Chris

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for anything you might find that can be of use. And if not Ilya surely can offer his suggestions regarding this when i can find him posting again.

7. Chris12923

To my knowledge it will keep adding up but i think somewhere i heard or saw raher that it is limited to a certain size. Don't quote me on that though. orry I can't be more help but like i ws saying defensewall run good on it's wn but I don't mess to much with all the bels and whistles :p

Thanks,

Chris

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Chris:

Fair enough and thanks for the confirmation to my suspicion of this. I'll have to contact Ilya and see if something can be remedied for this because this list is destined to skyrocket at some point over time.

Regards EASTER

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Do you mean it 'Quarantine' functionality?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Forgive my lack of knowledge but if File & Registry Tracks button on the interface equates to "QUARANTINE" then i think maybe so. It sets under the heading of Rollback, so i bet quarantine is what it is about.

If i press ALLOW ALL then will this list clear? Of course i'll go over each item to ensure it's safe or not.

EDIT: I done it again, i feel like a complete boob, you are right and if their deemed safe ALLOW ALL clears the list.

That will teach me to read the HELP file first the next time before running headlong into this.

Thanks Ilya

11. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

first activex can harm u man , if used badly.

and NO i dont need to understand any DW isolation as an home user ( or just a user) ... i want a simple key stroke to rollback clean to the first postiation i just enter the net use my broswer... in SB its "clean continer" and all crap good or bad are gone.

when system uses DW leave activeX control when exit it , its totaly unssafe and should make u worry.

cheers:thumb:

12. Ilya Rabinovich

You are wrong here. First of all, I would suggest you read a bit about ActiveX- those modules do not auto-start. Also, there is a "plugin injection" protection for such the threats to do not allow it run trusted.

13. demoneye

i use some chat sites which uses ACTIVEX in first time u enter them.
    after they install there is no prompt for again install them when u enter this site again...so arent they autostart like evrey plug in in the world? yes they are :D

what "[lugin injection" ? in DS? .....

14. Ilya Rabinovich

One more time- read about ActiveX technology before making a claims. ActiveX components runs ON DEMAND ONLY!!!!!

"Plugin injection protection" is a technology that prevents untrusted created executable modules from being loaded as trusted.

15. demoneye

maybe i was missunderstood... my claim is after this activex was installed and it found to be bad... is there any way to invoke him our from DW? coz DW leave it there even if u close the broswer and reopen...

cheers

16. Ilya Rabinovich

Yes, with 'Rollback' function ('Files and registry tracks' button) manually or with your on-demand anti-virus scanner :).

17. demoneye

10x ilya :cautious: will try it soon

cheers :thumb:

18. chaos16

defence wall worked like a jail right? i just puts malaware to like a prison per say?

and a hips works a bit diffrent so the hips in comodo should be incompatible with defence wallo_O

19. lucas1985

Defensewall builds a prison (the sandbox) and it recruits the best possible policemen (rules for the sandbox)
    Comodo builds a prison and it recruits you as the policemen.

20. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I've been trying this new version of Defencewall on my system for the past few days. I am very impressed with it and it works great in a limited user account also, which is a big thing for me now as I want to run LUA as much as possible. Unless I run into a major problem I will definately be getting it when I get back to work and get some funds coming in. Hopefully before my 30 day trial runs out. :D

It's definately going to be on my recommended software list.

21. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

So far so good. Still trialing with F-PROT.

22. chaos16

do u ppl prefer defencewall over other like it? (btw im not asking which is better as ive been long enough in this forum and noticed it does not exsist a best program lol)

anyone using it with comodo 3.0 and avast free btw?

23. lucas1985

The only other app which is DW-like is GeSWall (which I'm using myself). Both are policy-based sandboxes

24. chaos16

which one is more user friendly?

the thing is from the free version which is better defence wall or geswall?

25. lucas1985

I'd say that DW is a little bit more user-friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.