DeepFrozen question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bellgamin, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

Aug 1, 2002
    A) I am on my second day of trying out DeepFreeze (DF) and I really like it thus far.

B) I successfully made an image (using Image for DOS) which included DF in the image. All I had to do was boot in thawed mode, set DF's "clone" button, & then make the image. POOF! It worked! When I restored that image, DF was there.

C) I do have a couple of questions for those of you who are familiar with this program, if you would be so kind as to help me out.

D) BACKGROUND- At first DF seemed like the ideal program for letting me test new programs without permanently affecting my system files, registry, etc.

1) I tested several programs while in frozen mode. After testing those programs, I did a restart & it was as though those programs never existed on my computer.

2) Just now, however, I installed ProSecurity (PS) while in frozen mode. Unlike the other programs I had tested, PS requires a restart in order to complete installation. I installed PS in frozen mode, did the required restart and -- of course -- it was as though I had never installed PS at all. Thus, I could think of no way to test PS while using DF in frozen mode.

E) QUESTION #1- Using DF, is there any way to install & test a program IF that program requires a restart in order to complete its installation?

F) QUESTION #2- If the answer to Q1 is "No," will I be able to do what I want using Shadow User? Or sandboxie?
  2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I can't really help you that much on your other questions, but I know for a fact that Shadow User can keep changes for a certain number of reboots.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sep 20, 2003
    Shadow User should do it. Just a question of testing the imaging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.