DeepFreeze DOES NOT work as intended?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by eniqmah, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

This looks interesting. If you have SSM and DeepFreeze, try booting frozen, then set SSM in learning mode and then reboot. It will not have reset. SSM will be in learning mode when you reboot. Application permissions you made will stick, even after you reboot.

o_O

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

why would you reboot when frozen ? just set to thaw or thaw for the next "x" reboots and SSM will presumably learn and then become frozen when finished.

Better still try running with a good hardware Firewall and no anti-virus or anti spware, NO hip, ie no protection.

unless you go looking for trouble ( or use IE) you may well find that nothing bad happens - and if it does just reboot.

3. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

That is interesting. Is it repeatable?

Do you have a non-frozen partition as well as a frozen one?

4. eniqmah

Yes. Only C is frozen. I've replicated it a several times without fail.

I don't think you understood what I said.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks - yes - I have now reread your original. As you have a non frozen partition - is it possible that the control for SSM is on the non frozen partition ?

certainly it makes sense to have the Firefox profile, IE favorites, Pst etc on the non frozen partition.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Hi,eniqmah: I am a DF user, your findings are interested to me. First let me get your situation in a right order. You have DF(volume c frozen), and SSM(learning mode). In DF's frozen mode you allowed SSM to learn application permissions. Then you reboot, assuming all changes made would have been erased upon this reboot process. To your surprise, those changes learned by SSM remained. Then you suspect that DF has failed its mission. Am I right? My immediate question is this: Do you have volume(partition) other than C ? And those application permission changes learned by SSM are on volume(partition) C or on other partitions? The answer to these two questions are the key to your puzzle. Can you provide them. Thanks.

7. eniqmah

Yeah that's pretty much correct.This is what happens.
    My system has many partitions, only partition C is frozen. Application data for everything except Firefox is store on C.

1. I boot frozen with SSM Free in normal mode (Not learning mode)
    2. I put SSM on learning mode.
    3. I copy an executable test.exe from H to C and executed both of them from H AND C.
    4. I rebooted (frozen). Saw that SSM is STILL in learning mode. Opened it up and looked at the rules and sure enough, test.exe is allowed to run from both C and H.

5. The only changes are: the rules were kept, the executable was erased from C, and SSM remained on learning mode.
    6. I can, at this point, take SSM off learning mode and opt to keep those rules.

It would seem that this is more of a bug than a loop hole because even though these rules stuck, the executables would be wiped out and nothing would be running on startup that wasn't allowed before. It is just interesting how the configuration data from a previous session was able to stick.

Edit:

I've replicated this 1 more time since this post and, on last attempt, failed to replicate it.

Though not related to SSM, but further indication that DeepFreeze just may not be THAT deep, my laptop has failed on several occasions to apply the visual style that I had on the system BEFORE booting frozen. That is, when I boot frozen on my laptop, sometimes the visual styles will get applied, sometimes it will not even though the data for the visual style is stored in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\...etc.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just tried a similar experiment on my system. I froze my c: partition then threw ssm into learning mode, upon reboot ssm is back to the way it was with learning mode off. I then added some application rules and put ssm into learning mode. Upon reboot ssm is back to normal, learning mode is off and the new application rules i made before are gone. Deepfreeze seems to work as intended on my system, its a mystery whats happening on yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.