Deep Freeze 7 & DFError.log

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by rickrj, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickrj

rickrj Registered Member

Having been using Deep Freeze 6 for quite a while, I find it to be Superb for my Personal Use.

After reading about Faronics newest version was finally released ( Deep Freeze 7 ) and becoming aware of all the New Features added since my 6.X Version, I decided to give it a try & see how it works ;)

Everything was going pretty much well during the Trial ´til I decided to use TuneUp Utilities to clean up Stuffs ( Unnecessary Files and Backups ) to free up Disk Space.

Much to my Dismay, I happened to found out that there was a " Log " File in my System Windows Folder called " DFError "___ What the heck is that for ?

:( ) => http://images54.fotki.com/v242/photos/9/1281929/8856920/DFEerror_logALWAYSshowsinDF7_0-vi.jpg

Unless I am mistaken, and after spending lots of Time trying to understand it, I reckon that it is used to register " error " Infos on DF 7 under the following circumstances :

1) After selecting Boot Thawed and running the System Thawed in the next Restart;

2) After selecting Boot Frozen and Boot into Frozen Mode in the next Restart;

3 ) After logging off and on the PC in Thawed Mode

Also, When one is working in a Frozen Mode, more Infos are added to such a DFError.log everytime he reboots the System or decides to log off or on; but, since the PC is in Frozen Mode all such Infos are not retained and everything are simply discarded after Restart...

I just do not know Why now there´s now this DFError.log in Deep Freeze 7. Does anyone can tell me what it is used for, exactly ?

While browsing all over the Web in hopes of trying to find something ´bout this DFError.log, I found that Deep Freeze 7 install all such Files in the System after Installation , including of course, DFError.log :

:( ) => http://images22.fotki.com/v835/photos/9/1281929/8856920/DEEPFREEZE7_0InstallFilesinXP-vi.jpg

As far as I know, there was a few Security Enhacement for Deep Freeze 7 so Does this DFError.log make this new version any weaker as to Security ? Sorry, I am a Newbie when it comes to Security Topics and all this...

I always take Deep Freeze as a Robust boot-to restore Soft ( Not BulletProof ) and now I just dunno what to think when I see it now installing a " Log " File in the System for registering " error " Infos, isn´t it ?

This is the kind of Infos that my DFError.log shows when opened :

:( ) => http://images12.fotki.com/v532/photos/9/1281929/8856920/DFError_logExample-vi.jpg

Does anybody can tell me what this DFError.log is all about, after all ? I´d appreciate greatly to be told what it is and if , by any chance, it compromises the Security Issue of the Product somehow.

Thank you very much indeed for any Help to clear up such Doubts ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Have you contacted Faronics Support with your questions? They can best provide the answers.

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.