DD-WRT or Windows based setup of the VPN

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Gnikf, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

I have the option to setup my VPN in my dd-wrt router directly or install their GUI for windows.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either options?

One potential problem I see is that if I have setup the vpn on the router and on my phone.
    When the phone uses internet via my home wifi, it will go through the VPN twice if i'm not mistaken?

I need it setup on the phone for when I use the 3G mobile internet or public WIFIs. But when at home I will have the VPN setup once on the phone and once on the router from where the phone would be getting internet.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

It depends on your situation. On the router, ALL traffic is encrypted, which is cool. But the reason I like just using a client (OpenVPN or the Provider's) is:

I don't always need the privacy/security. If I'm watching a LanGuy99 security video, I want it at the full speed of my connection. I also don't care who knows I'm watching it. Even the best VPN is slower than your direct ISP connecction.

Depending on your provider, you may not have concurrent connections. AirVPN only allows 1. So if I forget, and leave the house, I'm screwed. Also, taking your router on and off the VPN is a PITA (to me). I REALLY wish AirVPN would allow at least two. Mullvad offers 3 though.

PD

3. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

great points, i'm sticking with clients also.
    Especially now that i found that some of my local video sites are like super slow from the VPN

btw bolehvpn which from what i read here is supposed to be in top 3 with the 2 you mentioned allows 2 simulateneus connections, which is perfect for me and my phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.