DD Windows partition # issue?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by PaulKraemer, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKraemer

PaulKraemer Registered Member

Hi,

I have never used DiskDirector before, but I have used System Commander by V-COM to setup mult-boot cabability on my PC. With this product, I have had problems in the past when I do the following with either Windows XP or Windows 2000:

1. Install Windows on primary partition #1, located at the beginning of the hard drive
    2. Install a different version of Windows on primary partition #2
    3. Delete primary partion #1 and move partition #2 to the beginning of the hard drive.

Any time I have done this with System Commander, the Windows installation that was originally on partition #2 would no longer work. I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with Windows depending on either the partition number that windows was originally installed on. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this was an issue with DiskDirector as well, or if there is a way around it? If I thought I could get around this issue, I would switch to DiskDirector.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, it is possible to perform the actions you have described using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. Please be aware that you will need to fix the Master Boot Record of the hard drive after the first primary partition is deleted and the second is moved to the beginning of the hard drive. You can find the instructions on how to fix the Master Boot Record in Acronis Help Post.

Most likely you will also need to make the appropriate changes in the boot.ini file of the remaining partition. In case you would like to install Windows 2000 onto this partition then you can find the description of boot.ini editing in this Microsoft Knowledgebase article.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.