Daughter using my dowload capacity - free traffic shaping

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Iangh, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Daughter is happily using my download capacity to watch BBC, Myspace, et al.

Any free programmes I can use to limit her capacity?

Something that reduces her speed the more she downloadeds.

If I get cut back from 10Mbps to 56kbps .......

Any ideas welcome.

We have LNS and WRT54G if somebody has any ideas for these.

Thanks
    Ian

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You might already have some of this in your WRT54G. I have the WRT54GX4 and can do this under "Applications & Gaming" > QoS. Main thing is just to look for QoS, which stands for "Quality of Service", which many routers have. This usually works by port, however, so you would need to find the ports being used. You could find this either by looking at router logs or using TCPView from www.sysinternals.com while viewing some of the same kinds of media. You won't be able to restrict every kind of media that way, though

If she's on a wireless connection you might be able to just restrict the speed the wireless adapter connects at in the driver properties. If she's on wireless and you're on a wired connection, then just lower the wireless connection speed in the router. There are some "parental control" software applications out there that will restrict bandwidth, but a hardware solution would probably be best (and certainly harder to bypass).

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

If you have a WRT54G, then since it runs on linux, you can use a customized firmware to get pretty good traffic shaping for free. The best custom firmware for traffic shaping is DD-WRT. Read up on it from resources on the website, and follow the install guide they give, and you should just load it up onto your WRT and traffic shape away. :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.