Dangerous ports & Firewall security [help]

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Buffer Overflow, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffer Overflow

Buffer Overflow Registered Member

Hello!

My name is Jeffery. I have a few questions about dangerous ports & firewall security, so I'll be right to the point.

1.) What are some ports that should be blocked?
    I already have: 136-140 & 446 (net bios & file sharing) ports.

2.) What are some protocals that should be filtered or blocked for a home network without file sharing or P2P applications?

I have Comodo Firewall, so any recommendations on software would be greatly helpful.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

If you have Comodo installed (or even just the Windows firewall), all your ports should already be closed/stealthed, unless you have exceptions for certain applications.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The correct ports are 137-139 and 445.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A firewall doesn't close ports. It blocks or controls connections to those ports. A port can be open and listening for incoming traffic while a firewall blocks connections to that port. As long as the firewall is configured properly and functioning correctly, the result is essentially the same, the port is inaccessible. If the firewall fails for any reason, (improperly configured, conflict with another application or update, killed by malware, system error, etc) access to that port is no longer restricted. Using a firewall to close open ports is a "band-aid" approach, the equivalent of a patch on a hole. Ports are held open by services, applications, or malware that's listening for incoming connections. It's better to close those ports that aren't needed for the specific setup by reconfiguring or shutting down the unnecessary services or applications that are opening them. When open ports are necessary to a specific setup, a software firewall can be configured to allow the necessary traffic and limit the origin of that traffic to only what is needed.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Very well said, and exactly my point on several occasions.

6. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Closing ports by firewall is not a good way.I'd like to use group policy to close ports.

Comodo can't close ports.If choosing Stealth Mode,you can stealth your ports.In fact,the firewall just block the initiative inbound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.