Daily AV updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by msingle, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msingle

msingle Registered Member

Symantec provides daily AV updates through the Inteligent Updater downloads compared to weekly updates through the LiveUpdate system.

I know that McAfee and Grisoft don't have this available.

Do other manufacturers do this?

Thanks.

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Their are three different ways how antivirus vendors handle this:

1. Daily updates

Pro: always the latest malware detection signatures
    Con: due to less time for 'testing the signatures' potentially higher risk of false positives

2. fixed scheduled updates (like weekly or monthly) with emergency updates if required

Pro: you do not to update that often (saves download time and internet bandwhich) and less risk of false positives due to longer testing time of the signatures

Con: for not ITW related malware like backdoor trojans you have to wait potentially longer for updated protection

3. unregulary, "if required"

Pro: see number 2
    Con: see number 2

Examples for 1: KAV, DrWeb32
    Examples for 2: McAfee, Sophos
    Examples for 3: F-Prot

I cannot say which of the three methods is the best one as each has pro and cons. I personally tend to prefer option 1 as I use my av program also for trojan protection and therefore I care also about getting quick the latest trojan related signature updates.

wizard

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I like to add two things:

1) McAfee has daily updates available but only for manual download somewhere on their AVERT website.

2) you can get also for F-Prot daily updates if you download from the F-Secure ftp-server.

wizard

4. adeel

adeel Guest

who said grisoft did'nt have this facility....did you even visit thier site?you should..because they have this facility.

5. msingle

msingle Registered Member

Ummm I was basing my information on their web site on the home page where it says the current update is 1/28 the previous one was 1/21 and the previous one was 1/10.

Am I missing something or does that sound like daily updates to you?

6. iceman

iceman Guest

Like MsIngle I found NO daily updates at their website.
    no, I don't use avg......
    in a case such as being presented here I prefer to heed the advice of Wizard

7. eda

eda AV Expert

I agree with wizard - there are 3 ways to do AV update. We decide to update avast! in this way:

1. avast! refuses daily updates (no time to check false alarms)
    2. avast! uses fixed scheduled updates - twice a week with emergency updates.
    3. avast32 V 3 uses true incremental updates - iAVS technology see at http://www.avast.com/iavs.htm - from the 2000. The most importnt features are:
    a. There are fix points (month release) for incremental updates
    b. There is simple check for new update - lower than 100 B of bandwith
    4. avast! 4 going further in the automation of AV update (see - http://www.avast.com/avast4/new.html). It checks for new AV update after login and then every 4 hours and download and install updates automaticaly - the feature hated by some "advance users" in this forum... But we find that it's the right way to update "our users"

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This feature is very useful!!
    A lot of people do forget to update their av software. They are in great risk to get infected since av power lies in virus signatures updates. With auto-update feature such as avast!s, this risk would be much lower. I believe, this feature is very important when it comes to AV software.

Technodrome

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Eda from Firefighter!

One plus more to Avast 4. The way Alwil goes to the absolute top, is one step closer! Let's find the new opportunities! :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Firefighter!

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.