CyberHawk breaks XP Explorer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tadoussac, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I have a brand new ThinkPad laptop. After installing XP Pro (SP2) and the assorted ThinkPad app's from the Service Partition, I installed approx. 25 other app's (Firefox, Thunderbird, Comodo Firewall, Antivir, and assorted other multimedia, printer, scanner, network apps.)

One of the last programs installed was CH 2.0.3.

At the end of this process, I decided to clean up all the unnecessary icons and to re-organize my XP Start Menu. CH complained once when I moved the Internet Explorer shortcut into a new folder ... but I gave it permission (one-time only).

Afterwards, XP Explorer crashes consistently when I explore My Computer.

After backing up several times and repeating this, I discovered that CH was the application causing the problem. I didn't install CH on the last iteration, and XP is now stable.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution ?

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello Tadoussac and welcome to Wilders!

I'm not the resident expert with CH but i have used it off and on since it's first inception and found it at present like riding a roller coaster, some versions are great IMO and other versions have been reported to suffer issues of various sorts.

If Cyberhawk Support is available to respond perhaps they can offer a better insight into difficulties you're presently experiencing. They have been addressing directly user issues in this forum from time to time.

I also have encountered issues depending on what release, and to my knowledge they are even right now still researching issues in Lab and then releasing other versions periodically.

3. user12

user12 Registered Member

Yes, and that's the last time it will be on my laptop.

4. galileo

galileo Registered Member

I am using CH on 3 desktops and 2 laptops and am a Beta tester for CH. I have never had/seen any negative interaction between CH and Windows Explorer (WE)- even for older or current Beta versions.

I have however seen interations (mostly negative) between WE and various other pieces of software that customize folder/file colors/icons visual styles and so on.

Were you setting any Custom Rules in CH? :rolleyes: Customizing the rules sets is a tricky proposition and can easliy generate system interactions with CH that are..."confusing" :blink: .

5. user12

user12 Registered Member

Speaking for myslf, no.

No folder/visual customisations other than official windows themes.

6. Tadoussac

No, I wasn't using custom rules either. I had just installed CH, and left it in the default post-installation settings. Also, I have no visual style/icon customization software on my notebook.

Thanks.

7. Tadoussac

Let me add 1 more comment - I believe the XP Explorer crash on my notebook PC depends on 2 circumstances:

(1) Installation of CH .... AND
    (2) Re-organizing the XP Start Menu shortcuts

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

When answering the pop-up, i think it would be best to answer "remember" or whatever CH does. Custom rules, as said above, could prevent further confusion from CH.
    But i do not know for sure, i didn't try any of that.

9. Mike P.

Mike P. Registered Member

I recently installed Cyberhawk on my XP 2.0 Home system and it seemed to cause the well documented problem "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close".

I've uninstalled it and the problem seems to have gone away. I've emailed Novatix about it and asked for reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.