Cyberhawk 1.20.336 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by QBgreen, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Download link at http://www.novatix.com/Cyberhawk/ will take you to download.com for the installation file. It's also available form MajorGeeks. I found nothing to describe what's new with this release.

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Will we get this new one through updates? Or do we have to uninstall and then get the new one?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Last version never worked on my system. Just wonder if new version is better.

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I installed it over the previous version and it removed the guard and installed new version. It then asked for restart and sure enough new version was installed. However when I went to my System Restore to see if it made a restore point I couldn't get it to open and got a Microsoft Send Error Report three times in three attempts. Uninstalled Cyberhawk and all is well. I'm not sure if CH is responsible and maybe uninstalling old version first would have been a better choice, but one things for sure. Comodo Personal Firewall is back on board and CH isn't. I really liked the program and had faith in it, but I don't know why update didn't work, and why System Restore at this particular time didn't either. I'll wait and see what some others have to say as i would like to use this program again.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

the new Version 1.2.0.36 features: improved adware, spyware, rootkit, keylogger, and buffer overflow detection; fewer false positives; Custom Rules section removed; new option to manually check for updates at any time; ability to replay Orientation from tray icon or Help menu; date range options added to Security Status reports; updated EULA; miscellaneous other program fixes

i loaded this version ontop of the previous also. I have no problems at all. I think duke you may have needed to wait for the update that seems to follow after a while . It seems to take a short while or so after running Cyberhawk on my pc. I noticed that there are also 4 apps now loaded up on my firewall where as there may have only been 2 in the last version. so after loading Cyberhawk up and rebooting , it may have needed to complete itself with any further updates. If you are running with windows XP firewall you may not have noticed . Did you allow this to happen before doing things with system restore . however duke im only guessing.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

CyberHawk update worked different on two pc's.

My son got the update automatically when he was gaming (had SSM disabled while gaming). CyberHawk updated with no problems

On a new PC I am configurating right now (Antivir+CyberHAwk_SPywareTerminator+BufferZone free) the automatic update did not start by itself. So I downloaded the new version and tried to install, got memory writing errors after restart. Next I surfed to this forum, read that possibly more processes were installed. So I manually uninstalled the old version, disabled the HIPS-option of SpywareTerminator, installed the new version and rebooted.

System came up, next I enabled the Hips feature again. And Allowed CyberHawk to run. Now it works okay.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. duke1959

I thank everyone for their input. I think what I'm hearing is that because of how System Restore works, and CH works, over time there would have been no MS Errors correct? I did notice that the numbers for the Community Events Analyzed I believe it is, were the same as the ones in my Events Analyzed. Before they were of course much different with the Community Events close to or in the millions I think. I'll give it another try, but do you think I need to keep ST or at the very least Comodo Firewall if the install works ok this time? It just seems like too much protection. Oh, and CH did ask to allow or deny AVG AS while I was manually updating it which I allowed, (I use it as on demand only)but the rule didn't carry over to the new version.

8. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

9. muf

muf Registered Member

It appears pretty obvious to me that the rule setting feature will be in the Advanced User Controls, which just happen to be in the Pro version. I hope the Pro version isn't paid for only as I need those rules to omit some of my apps as without them CH runs slower than a tortoise in treacle.

muf

10. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Don't want to be the one to disappoint you Muf but, I've read a post (at Wilders) that they do plan to charge for the Pro version.

I'll see if I can find it.

11. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

12. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

Greetings all--

Thank you for your interest in Cyberhawk. We thought we'd take a moment to help clear up some of the confusion about our latest v. 1.2 release, and also let you know that we're available for any other questions that may come up.

With this latest v. 1.2.0.36 release we have not yet turned on the automatic update notification. This is because we are working on yet another update which will incorporate a few more fixes. We hope to have this new update released either the end of this week or early next. In the meantime, you can simply download the newest version from our website and install over your current version.

Duke1959--Thanks for bringing the System Restore issue to our attention. There definitely was an issue there. We are working on it right now and hope to include the fix in the upcoming update.

Here's a bit more information on what's changed from v. 1.1.3.2 to 1.2.0.36:

In this latest release we have significantly improved on the performance impact. We also now stop a much broader range of malware. Initially you might see a slight increase in false positives because of the new rules we've incorporated, and because of the tightening of some of these rules. We are always working on the decreasing false positives, so over time you should see these great diminish.

Another item to note is that with the update to v1.2.x any past logs and saved Allow/Deny actions were not able to be carried over or imported. In future updates we do hope to be able to remember these items.

The Custom Rules piece was removed for now. This was done to improve its functionality. We do plan to reintroduce them in a future version.

We do plan to release a Pro version later this year. The final pricing has not yet been set, but it should be nominal. We encourage any feedback on features, etc. for this new version.

We at Novatix always welcome all feedback, good and bad, from our users. If anyone runs across any further issues with our newer updates we would strongly encourage you to contact us through our online support center at http://www.novatix.com/support. Our technicians will do all they can to help.

Thank you all again for your support of Cyberhawk. Feel free to contact me directly with any concerns.

Becky Dubrow
    Novatix Corporation

13. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

Hi Becky,

Nice to see Cyberhawk reading our posts. I've got a few questions,

What will be the difference, if any, between the Custom Rules feature that was, and the Advanced user Controls to be?

Will the planned Cleanup & Removal feature scan for infections like other anti-malware?

Do you use a white list feature in allowing any known programs to run that were previously flagged an alert whilst running (i.e false positives), or do you simply tweak (loosen) your rules for this? (especially when we submit files for analyses, like I did for FD-ISR here)

Cheers,

betauser2

14. muf

muf Registered Member

I had to uninstall it. I had no choice. I NEEDED those custom rules for CH to run smoothly. If I don't have the facility to omit Prevx1 and KIS6 then I can't run it when it will cause my pc to revert back to a P100. Even though I was using the previous build it appears obvious that the custom rules is something the developers want to get rid of. As i'm not willing to get rid of Prevx or KIS it left me no choice...

Enjoyed using it while it lasted though!

muf

15. Cyberhawk Support

Hi betauser2--

In the upcoming Pro version we do plan to reincorporate the Custom Rules feature. This section will be exactly the same as it was previously except for the fact that the rules will actually work this time. There were some issues with certain rules not actually functioning correctly in past versions. The Custom Rules will be the main content under advanced user controls. Other items are more minor and have to do with program options, settings and customizability.

The cleanup and removal will feature malware quarantine and removal capabilities. There will not be a scanner such as what you're used to seeing in traditional signature-based products. There are already too many other players who provide signature-based scanners, so we're not looking to compete on that field. However, we will have a special rootkit scanner that will look specifically for rootkits. The always-on protection in Cyberhawk currently will notify you if it detects a rootkit or hidden process, but the scanner we're building will go much more in depth.

And in answer to your last question, we do employ a white list feature for false positives, but that is always handled in conjunction with constant monitoring for malicious behaviors. What this means is, even though you've asked that an item be "whitelisted" (or you chose to always remember an Allow action), you may see an alert on it again if it ever attempts to engage in suspicious activity. Ensuring the overall security of a PC is always Cyberhawk's first concern, but we realize we must balance that by addressing false positives in some way. Our approach doesn't compromise security, but drastically cuts down on false positives.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

16. Cyberhawk Support

Muf--

I am sorry for the trouble the removing the Custom Rules has caused you. As I mentioned earlier, the rules section did not work properly for a number of people and so we wanted to do more work on it to ensure it worked as designed. I'm sure we can work something out with you down the road when we release a version with the Custom Rules back in. Feel free to follow up with me directly at that time.

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

17. duke1959

Thanks for your reply Cyberhawk Support, it fills me with more confidence in your fine product. The only three questions it leaves me with are. How will we know when the System Restore issue is fixed, or any issues for that matter? Does the System Restore issue straighten itself out after CH has been installed for awhile? And will there always be a free version of CH? Thanks again for your input in this Forum, and I am looking forward to installing CH again.

18. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hello becky welcome to wilders and thanks for being here

19. Cyberhawk Support

Thank you for your kind words, Duke1959.

The System Restore issue should be fixed in our next update, which we hope to release later this week or early next. What's happening is that Cyberhawk is interfering with the System Restore interface, so you can't access it. However, System Restore still actually works. If you temporarily disable the Cyberhawk service (through Control Panel--Admin Tools--Services) you should then be able to access System Restore.

If you have "Check for Updates" set to "On" then you'll automatically receive an update notice when it's available. These update notices typically direct users to this page on our site:

http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk.aspx

Here you'll see a listing of major issues address or new features added in the latest release. The information that's there now refers to v. 1.2.0.36. We never actually sent out the update notice on this update because right after it was released we discovered a few other minor issues we wanted to address before widespread upgrading took place. This certainly isn't the way it typically works, so going forward you should expect to see those update notices.

And yes, we do always plan to provide a free version of Cyberhawk. Copied from our Online Knowledge Base:

At some point in the future Novatix may release a "Pro" version of Cyberhawk, but current plans call for keeping the powerful free version available regardless of whether another version is released. In fact, if a "Pro" version is released at some later date, the valuable Secure Community feedback provided by users of the free version will help to make such a product even stronger and more effective. So it is in our best interest to always keep the free version available. ​

Regards,

Becky Dubrow

20. Cyberhawk Support

Thanks, solarpowered candle! Happy to be here--we're long overdue, I think.

21. muf

muf Registered Member

Thanks Becky. I will definately look at a future build that includes the custom rules. I filled in the customary web form detailing why I uninstalled it. In there I selected 'Yes' to the question regarding using a newer future version.

All the best,
    muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.