Custom install - Norton 360?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by entropism, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

OK, so Avast has been giving me problems lately regarding my internet speed, so I decided to try a few different AVs. Not wanting to clutter up a perfectly good Win7 install, I want to narrow down my choices as much as possible before I install them. Since I get Norton 360 v4 for free from Comcast, I'd like to test it out, btu I ONLY want the AV/spyware/Behavior portion of it, not the firewall, and certainly not the PC cleanup tools. Anyone have experience with 360 and would be kind enough to let me know how selective I can be during installation?

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Symantec products are automated and doesn't allow you custom installs. What you want to do is absolutely impossible with Norton Internet Security , Norton 360 and the Security Suit v4 for Comcast.

If you want antivirus , antispyware , SONAR (behavioural analysis) , the-Cloud (Insight Network) , etc -> this is Norton Antivirus 2010:
    http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/norton/antivirus

You can get a 30-day trialware without registration or any billing data from here:
    http://trialware.norton.com/files/NAV-TW-30-17-1-0-19TBEN.exe

3. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Yeah, thanks, I figured as much. I have absolutely no interest in paying for Norton, I figured I'd try it for a while since it was free, but not if I have to install everything along with it. Oh well, on to the next candidate. Hopefully they fix Avast soon, so i can go back to where I'm comfortable.

4. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

Once installed you can disable anything you want.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

As for the firewall , the product will stay in red and will produce alarms from time to time that it has been disabled.

6. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

7. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

8. databb

databb Registered Member

3GUSER, please! :cautious:
    You are obviously not a Norton user who knows much about the product and its functionalities. Both your comments are misleading.

1) You can turn off whatever function you do not need and it is pretty easy to do it. This can be done after the installation of the suite.

2) You can choose the notification behavior of both the product and the Windows Notification Center. It is also relatively easy process.

And by the way - do not offend, but I wonder what kind of IT Consultant you might be...o_O?

9. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I might have been wrong and we all learn through all our lives. I apologies tp the OP if I have mislead him/her.

Hmm... Windows Security Center - in Windows XP and Windows Vista . Action Center in Windows 7 . Not a Windows Notification center . Should I now say that : "You are obviously not a user who knows much about the Windows product".

The best consultant the world has even seen :thumb: I don't care much about what you say mostly because I don't know you . I care about my friends' and my clients - all happy and satisfied.

I haven't tested it yet but assuming one stops the Smart Firewall in N360 . It will most likely not stop the firewall service , unload drivers - it will barely just allow all the traffic . This could be OK if Windows Firewall is enabled and properly configured but might cause problems if another 3rd party product is installed.If some user don't want the firewall , antispam , etc , best would be to install (not first install then disable) Norton Antivirus

10. databb

databb Registered Member

You did offend however. Sorry about that!

Remember one thing from me: it is not the words you use, but the meaning behind them that matters ... ;) There are plenty of people who speak a lot but say nothing...

Good for you if you make your friends and customers satisfied... Keep it that way! :thumb:

Lets not make this forum a place for personal disputes - it has another purpose.
    Thank You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.