Currently testing other protection setups

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by razor0018, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

When they believe an app may me rogue, it is tested and if found to be rogue it is added to this List as well as detected and removed by RogueRemover

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

WOW. That is alot more than 349. Thanks, we better use that one in the future.
    Well done !!! :cool:

3. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I actually removed SpySheriff manually once, 3 years ago. I only used task manager to kill proccesses and manually deleting files.
    Then scanned with SpyBot and Ad-Aware, I didn't have an AV that time!
    :ninja:

How much more off-topic can this thread get? :argh:

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think its off-topic...... not really.

different 'protection setups' aint able to stop certain threats. :p

5. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Hahaha ok I agree on that :D

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

At first, I thought the OP was looking for a total different protection setup, but he seems to want to replace his scanners with other scanners. So nothing really changes. :)

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You have to try out a few and see how it performs on your system, as what works for one, won't always work for another (as cliche as that sounds).

So where one setup will give false positives for one, another user might not experience any (as we all have different programs installed). Where one provides solid protection on every site one US user visits, it might not provide the same protection for another user who visits foreign sites or who spends most their time gaming etc.

It's very difficult to give a recommendation, and the forum should be applauded on not wanting anyone to compare one product versus another. It's all about making your on my mind up about how it performs on your system, with your programs and your browsing behaviour.

I know of one person who uses Avira which achieves the highest detection rates. Top program. He downloaded a virus through a site which his security program couldn't remove. After trialling several others security programs, another leading program managed to block the virus, but still couldn't remove it. Full restore was needed.

He still uses Avira, and is very happy with it. He just copped a bad-roll-of-the-dice that one time, on that one site. When you download a virus, you don't choose which one you're going to get, you get what you get! ;) He continues to use Avira, and for the past year, has been trouble-free.

Let us know how you go. :D

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Regardless of whatever setup or antivirus a user has, a computer should not be without drwebs CureIT, this is not me being biased towards my own AV, just a valid' recommendation to anyone who cares to listen

9. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

CureIt is a must, it's a simple exe file that can remove viruses other full installed AVs can't Lol!

I also think immunisation to be of highest importance on a protection setup.
    I currently immunise with Spyware Blaster, SpyBot S&D and Spyware Terminator.

Both CureIt and immunisation are things that actually don't run in real time, so I think they're very good to have on any protection setup.

10. Saraceno

CureIt can be used on any usb stick as well.

Top program. :thumb:

11. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Agreed.
    regardless of one's set-up, cureit is a great tool for periodic scans or for clean-up.

12. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I uploaded a zipped password protected trojan in VirusTotal and Fortinet was the only able to detect the trojan.

How can it scan a password protected file?

13. Saraceno

Not sure of the answer to that question, but at an enterprise security level, their products are described as among the best. Recently won 'best integrated security solution' at SC Magazine's 2008 awards.

14. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I just uploaded at VirusTotal a password protected zip archive which contained a txt file with the EICAR string.
    This time Fortinet missed it, BUT Authentium, F-Prot and Sunbelt found that it was EICAR!

How can this be possible? I didn't know AVs could scan a password protected file. I mean doing so, is exactly the same as viewing its content, or not?

:ninja: (<-i like this!)

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Some engines are smarter coded,and they know Eicar is a fake. ;) or Eicar is in their trusted zone.

16. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I guess every AV knows it is a fake, but it still gives the warning.

If I don't set a password to the zip archive containing EICAR, 32/32 AVs recognise it as EICAR, but if I do set a password only Authentium, F-Prot and Sunbelt recognise it as EICAR.

This means some can scan password protected files, which I find very strange. Only explanation for me, is that they somehow own or know the encryption function used by WinRAR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.