Curious About NOD

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pvsurfer, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Can NOD32 catch and quarantine an infected file that's embedded within a rar or zip file at the time it arrives as an email attachment or download?

I've been using Symantec's AntiVirus Corporate client in our small business for over a year and as far as I'm concerned, that is its major weakness. It does find and identify such an infected file during an 'after-the-fact' scan, but not in real-time!

Thanks, pv

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Of course, you can set IMON to move infected emails or files downloaded via HTTP to quarantine.

3. pvsurfer

Thanks Marcos... before changing AVs, I wanted to make sure that the next AV I get will catch infected files (in real-time) even when they are embedded inside an archive file.

While that may seem elementary to you (NOD32), it sure isn't to Symantec!

4. pvsurfer

Just wondering if I can install NOD32 on one of our desktops (to check it out) without uninstalling SAVC?

I could remove SAVC from starting up while I'm using NOD, but until I'm convinced NOD is a better solution, I'd rather not uninstall SAVC. Is doing this ok? o_O

5. pvsurfer

o_O o_O o_O

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard!

6. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi pvsurfer:

As long as the realtime protection is turned off (and disallowed from starting back up) you can test it fine. Keep in mind that symantec has quite a few modules that load and run in memory (taking away from precious resources - RAM).

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I know Kaspersky and NOD sometimes have problems running on systems where Norton products were installed previously even if they are uninstalled, as Norton doesn't remove itself properly. Not sure about the corporate Symantec versions as I have never used a corporate version.

8. pvsurfer

Thanks very much for the reply. As I said, I plan to disable Symantec's 'ccApp' from starting up. To play safe, I will also disable all of the Configuration 'Auto-Protects'. Do you know of anything else that I should do before installing NOD32?

9. pvsurfer

.... and I never used any Norton (home) version, but thanks for the feedback! :doubt:
    I really don't want to completely uninstall the Symantec Corp Client until I make my final AV decision!

10. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

I have successfully run NOD32 and SAV 9.03 while only disabling SAV Realtime protection.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.