CTFMON.EXE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

This obscure program can be listed as CTFMON.EXE or ctfmon.exe.
    The net answers vary from "It`s a virus" to "It`s a Microsoft program to do with languages". A lot of descriptive matter can be read about it.

In my world, either it is or it is not. There are no grey areas.
    I have disabled it. I see no use for this piece of apparently useless rubbish and cannot just let it run for fun.

What do you think about this obscure and meaningless program ?

John Bull

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. John Bull

Thanks "Global", absolutely brilliant. I have done what your link said. A good reference and CTFMON.EXE has now gone from my running process list.

The reason for my question was that the net is so confused on what it is, how to get rid of it and generally do not collectively seem to know damned all about it. I am no dumb-bell and cannot tolerate confusion amongst the egg-heads, which is why I asked the Forum.

Your answer is precise and acceptable. AND I may add, a solid answer to all those other poor souls who are trying to get rid of this pest. No need to waste time on the net - just look at Wilders Forum.

Not re-inventing the wheel old chap, just making sure it is put on the right way round and turns on the axle in the proper direction when the horse pulls the cart.

Thanks again
    "John"
    PS - Why the quotes ? Is it a new fashion ?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Pleased to have your approval. I'll agree the net often confounds with questionable content and a forum like Wilders generally offers the practical, sound advice sought. As an additional reference when trying to decipher running processes you may wanna bookmark the AnswersThatWork task list pages. Like PC Hell, they've been around awhile.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If CTFMON.EXE exists anywhere other than C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder then it would be advisable to upload to VT for a scan.

ctfmon.exe - Result: 36/41 (87.81%) - P2P-Worm.Win32.Palevo

6. John Bull

"Global", I luv ya. So much so, that we told our crappy goalkeeper in South Africa to throw the ball into his own net for the sake of good Anglo-American relations.

"John"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.