Creating one backup file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fitforlife, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitforlife

fitforlife Registered Member

When I created my first backup this weekend using Acronis 11 (8027) the system created 12 separate files. I had the Automatic option selected. But after reading the note below from the help screen I now know that it is my external hard disk (My Book Essential). My question is how do I ,or can I, change my external disk drive to allow the estimated file size so tat I only create one file??

If the storage disk has enough space, but its file system does not allow the estimated file size, Acronis True Image Home will automatically split the image into several files.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If your 12 files with perhaps the exception of the last one are about 4GB then it is because your external HD is formatted FAT32. This is the usual format they have when sold - it is more universal than NTFS.

FAT32 has a maximum filesize of about 4GB and the only way to remove this restriction is to format your external drive as NTFS. Many people do it particularly since NTFS is superior to FAT32. However, if you plan on using the external with W98 it must be left at FAT32 since W98 doesn't know about NTFS.

There really is nothing wrong with having the 12 files. TI knows that they are all part of a multi-file archive and automatically deals with them as a single unit. I split my archives files at 1.457GB since 3 fit nicely on a DVD and still uses the ISO file system. However, I only backup my XP/Apps partition, not everything so my archives are about 8GB.

3. fitforlife

Thanks for the quick response. All my backup files are 4GB like you said except the last one. This forum is great and is why I am going to buy this software and use it for my computers.

4. fitforlife

Re: Creating one backup file? (Resolved) Now How Can I Explore The File?

I have the trial version of Acronis 11 and everything is working OK expect:

* Search and explore archives Easily search for and recover particular files from all your known backup archives

When I double clink using Explorer on the *.tib file I get a screen image for 1/2 a second that I cannot see and then the screen disappears. This occurs on my laptop running Vista Basic and my Desktop running Vista Premium. I have 12 .tib files for my Desktop backup and 7 for my laptop backup. I also have the same problem when choosing the "Explore Backup Archive" option from the Acronis Home page. After choosing this option I select the *.tib file and click the OPEN button. Then a screen image pops and disappears.

What can I do to explore these files?

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Can't help you, I don't have TI11. I suggest you post this problem as a new post since it is now buried under the wrong heading.

Good luck.

6. mtz1of4

mtz1of4 Registered Member

Did you install TI? If so, start it up, choose Mount Image, point it to your backups (.tib files), it should Mount and then you can explore it.

Although I have no experience with Vista, so the Vista User Account Control might throw up some warnings or even stop you without warnings. (really unsure about that one.)

7. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Hello,
    By mounting, mtz1of4 is referring to giving the image a drive letter and making it accessible via the "My Computer" or "Computer" screen in windows like a hard drive or CD/DVD drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.