Creating Bootable Partitions.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by aspencer, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aspencer

aspencer Registered Member

I have recently purchased a copy of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.

I would ideally like to set up a testing pc containing the following,

8 instances of NT
    12 instances of Win 98SE
    12 instances of Win ME
    12 Instances of Win 2000
    12 Instances of Win XP

Possibly 4 instances of Linux

According to the information of the website, the software is able to boot between 100 or more operating systems, however, i am currently experiencing difficulties installing all the operating systems.

Each operating system needs to be on a seperate partition so i assume i have to use logical partitions, however, how do i set this up so that they are all bootable.

Any help is greatly appreciated as i have tried following the online help and the user manuals and am struggling.

Regards in advance!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aspencer,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Management Software.

Please note that for every OS installed to your computer Acronis OS Selector can create an unique partitions layout (set active partition for corresponding OS and hide system partitions of other OSes from the current OS). Please read more about setting the partitions properties in the users guide chapter 7.7 "Setting operating system properties" on page 87. Please also read Chapter 8. "Installing and using several operating systems on a single PC" on page 101 to get more information regarding this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. aspencer

aspencer Registered Member

I have installed a copy of windows XP in a 5Gb hard primary partition which is set to active.

On theis partition, i installed Acronis Disk Director Suite.

From this, i then created an extended partition to store all of the logical partitions needed for each OS.

On this extended partition, i created a 3GB partition to house a copy of windows 2000 as a test.

However, once i inserted the CD and tried to configure OS selector to make this partition active for the installation, the box was greyed out.

How do i install an OS on a logical drive? as i cant use primary partitions due to the numbers needed.

Regards

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aspencer,

Please note that you won't be able to install the bootable part of Windows OS to a logical partition due to OS restrictions. However there are some possibilities to avoid these restrictions. You can either use "Copy Operating System" feature(chapter 7.13 "Copying operating systems" on page 96 of the users guide) or install the operating system on the same partition (chapter 8.2.3 "Installing another Windows on the same partition" on page 103) in order to have more than 4 (max. number of primary partitions) Windows copies on the same disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.