Creating bootable media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timmy, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Does that, the business about linux, explain why the Acronis program occupies more than 100 mega units, but only shows up as 49 megaunits in the program file where it is stored? What happened to the other 51?

2. mvincent

mvincent Registered Member

Timmy, I cannot explain what you simply do not understand.
    Here are a few facts take them or leave them as I dont quite care but was merely trying to help:
    The bootable linux files do not always work on all workstation implementations. I have witnessed this many times as a network manager for a large company using this product. You claimed to have made the CD/DVD properly and it would not boot therefore one would assume that you have this issue.

The usb trick will allow all files to be visible to you. It is not that the linux files are not visible to Windows. That is a non-factual statement, Windows can see unix/linux files just fine. It is the format of the boot sector on the media that you may not be able to see. Hence the USB trick will make ALL FILES visible to you that the program is using.

The ISO will boot fine if you know what you are doing. Others can't walk you through every single step so you should do some reading yourself based on what was stated.

That said, I am glad you got it to work, but as you can see, no one has disacknowledged my statements as they are fact....that unfortunately you did not understand.

MV

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

4. como

como Registered Member

I and many others use RW cd’s for the rescue disk, as you have to make a new disk for every new build it saves on the coaster pile and your pocket.

If you use two disks, one for the current build and keep the one made with the previous build, then you are covered if the new build doesn’t see all your hardware for some reason. To overwrite the old disk with the new build you first have to erase the old disk with your burning program.

5. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Mr. Vincent you will hopefully forgive me for beating up on you. As usual in these cases it isn't YOU but issues the other person is having, in this case for ex my wife is threatening to divorce me, mainly because I allowed the plumber, who charged me $1,500 just to regrout a shower, to let the yellow cat out, who I loved also, and who now is vanished, and I just read in the newspaper that the teenaged son of our local councilwoman was given a summer job plumb "snack bar mgr of the municipal pool" for $35,000! (and the pool is open only 12 weeks, excluding rainy days and holidays) whereas I never earned it for a full year's work, and other things like that.

Anyhow, re as you have to make a new disk for every new build
    that info by your colleague interesting, was wondering about that. I will thus label the old disk vér9 and the new one v10.

One last question: do you need the "secure zone" in order to restore your computer if you use one of these boot disks? I have the backup information stored on a second hard drive (main drive is C, and backup is on "D") so am hoping that would work, but so far have not tested because it's not been necessary to restore the computer from the boot disk. Have not used that secure zone and trying to keep things simple if poss.

Actually not quite last, but this is: What happened to the other 51 mega units? The true image downbload was 100, but "program files" show only 49 once I unpacked it. 51 are gone missing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's not Linux, it's BART. Half the install size is due to the BART PE plug-in stuff, which installs copies of much of the program material in separate directories.

If you do a custom install and skip the BART, the installed material will be about half and the program fully funcitonal -- excetp that you won't be able to as easily build a BART PE CD.

7. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Oh I see thanks. Does the Bart Pe program do anything that is necessary? Who or what is Bart? How did he/it get involved. I did a search on my computer, all drives, for the word "bart" but nothing. Those 51 mega units must be hiding somewhere, possibly under a different name?

which installs copies of much of the program material in separate directories [where would those directories be found?]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  8. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Found out re "Bart." He is a person, found his web site. Thing is, the program he offers only 3 mega units and not 51? That still leaves 48 units unaccounted for. Not sure what his program does, I read all the stuff there, but it's pretty technical. Duno how he got involved with the Acronis Co.?

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello timmy,

No, with your setup you do not need a Secure Zone (SZ).

The Acronis SZ and the associated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) is primarily targeted at people with computers that have only one hard drive and possibly no floppy drive or CD/DVD drive to boot the rescue media from. However, some users choose to use the SZ (without activating the SRM) to automatically manage the number of incremental/differential images they create.

You will find most of your "missing" Megabytes under Program Files > Common Files > Acronis.

Regards

10. timmy

timmy Registered Member

Hey thanks. That info most helpful to me. I was wondering a long time if it was ok the way I was doing it, viz using a second hard drive and not the secure zone. Really apprec. your info. rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.