Create Installation Package with associated commandline doesnt work.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mcferrero, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcferrero

mcferrero Registered Member

Hi, I want to create an installation package with ERA with an associated commandline, and its not working

When I put "save as" it gives me the following options:
    MSI with config file
    MSI without
    EXE

The packages that I tested embed the config file that I selected correctly but not the commandline: /qn REBOOT="ReallySuppress" PASSWORD="xxx"

How can I do that?

The problem is that if I execute locally the FILE.EXE /qn REBOOT="ReallySuppress" PASSWORD="xxx" locally on the machine it works, but when I execute it with an VB Script it doesnt. I even created a CMD file with the line but it doesnt work.

Why cant I embed the commandline in the package?

Thanks so much.

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Those command line switches are ones that are used for the Microsoft Windows Installer service. Using a prepackaged .exe file should make those switches irrelevant. The password switch is usually only needed for when you are pushing an uninstall to a client that has a password protected setup.

It appears that your goal is to have a preconfigured local installation file that you can run from the end computers without using RA. If that's the case, save the package as an exe file and that will get you what you need.

Side question: are you using this method because the push installation is not working?

Thanks,

Matt

3. mcferrero

Hi, the main problem is that we have at least 1000 pcs with very different configurations, push is not working and will not work (its complicated) and I cant put the mini exe because every time a client executes it, it will fetch the installation package from the server and some connections are brought to its kness (and we cant put another RA server).

What I intend to do, its to execute with a simple script the full installation package, located on the nearest file server of the client PC, and auto-install it silently. It has to have embedded the password because older installation are protected with it and will not update whitout it.

Making the full exe does not silently install and does not contain the password required to replace existing installation. Im not sure if Im doing it wrong or its not working. Maybe I can embed everything on a MSI file, I dont know, Any idea?

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi mcferrero,

Yes, you can use the same command line options as in ERA, but using msiexec (c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe).

A valid command line would be:

msiexec /i "full path to MSI installer" /qn /other_desired_parameters

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

5. mcferrero

Hi, thank you for your help. I tried to install it and it worked. And they even showed on ERA. Fantastic. Thank you so much.

One more thing, if possible. I still would like to know if I can create a fully silent automated package, with the password embedded, without any external commanline, as a full exe, for automatic and easy installation.

Really thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.