CPU Usage > 95%

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by megaman, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megaman

megaman Registered Member

Hi, Ive recently installed the latest built of TI 10.
    When I run a backup it pushes the cpu usage up to > 95%.
    Is this normal? I never had this issue with the earlier build of v10. I'm running XP.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Perhaps your back-up priority is set to "high".

I know when I make an image my cpu usage is high as I always set the priority to "high" (never noticed the percentages though, maybe others have).

EDIT: Just tried a small partition and the usage was almost 100% when set on high priority.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I've just carried out a quick test using TI 9.0 Build 3677. Seems that selecting Backup Priority Low, Normal or High makes very little difference to my CPU utilisation shown in Windows Task Manager (I have an AMD Athlon (Barton Core) 2600+ CPU) i.e. approx 100% in each case. However, if using another program at the same time, the responsiveness of my system does change dramatically (from Low = quite responsive to High = practically unusable)!!

Regards

Menorcaman

4. megaman

Thanks all for the replies, I'll try changing my priority and see if that does anything.

Cheers

5. norrisg

norrisg Registered Member

The compression level selected will affect this. The higher the compression, the more CPU power is required to do the compression.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Having carried out further tests using different combinations of backup Compression and Priority, I can confirm this up to a point.

Setting the compression to "None" sees the CPU utilisation settle at approximately 60%, irrespective of the backup priority selected. Setting the compression to "Normal", "High" or "Maximum" sees the CPU utilisation rise to 100% in each case, again, irrespective of the backup priority. Therefore, as far as my own system is concerned, it seems that changing the backup priority has no affect on CPU utilisation, whereas setting the backup compression to "None" reduces it by approx 40%. On the other hand, once the CPU utilisation reaches 100%, the backup priority setting has quite a noticeable affect on the system responsiveness as mentioned in my Post #3 above.

Regards

Menorcaman

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello megaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to set mentioned options in chapter 5.3 "Setting backup options" of the respective User's Guide.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post of mine.

Please also clarify, where are you storing your backup at?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. megaman

Hi Marat, thank you, i'll try as you have suggested some time in the next few days.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.