Couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ht7890, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ht7890

ht7890 Registered Member

scenario:

1. Program (A) calls home using TCP 1234
    2. Program (B) uses TCP 1230-1240 to function correctly.

Question: How can I stop program (A) from using TCP 1234 when it needs to be unblocked to allow program (B) to work?

Do I need to bind a specific program to ports? (please excuse my thickness!)

Next Question:

Am I right is assuming that the sharing.ire ruleset is just for allowing computers on a Local Area Network to share a printer, NOT over the internet?

Is this also OK for sharing folders between two computers on a LAN or do I need to open more ports?

The problem I have trying to get my head around this firewall is because others such as Zonealarm etc. have a trusted LAN zone used for internal file and printer sharing. It seems that every rule has to be written in LnS.

Hope all that makes sense
    Thanks fior your time
    ht7890

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,
    If Program (A) doesn't need another port, simply block it globally in the application filtering.

For Program (B), you need to allow it in the application filtering.
    Then edit the rule (the edit button is available only if you activate the advanced mode in the advanced options), and specify the port range for this application.

Yes, assuming you let the IP range as 192.168.x.y

No other port rule is required. This import ruleset was created for this purpose.

Regards,

Frederic

3. ht7890

ht7890 Registered Member

Thanks Frederic

I tried the LAN settings with printer & file sharing and they work very well, excellent in fact. :D

The first question I will have to work on as I don't qiute follow you. If I block TCP 1234 globally as you suggest will this not also block program(B) from using this port.

Please excuse my ignorance as I am still trying to come to terms with this firewall. I have not come across the advanced mode in advanced options, guess I need to go and play some more :)

regards

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, actually what I suggested in not to block port 1234 (I suppose in the Internet filtering) but to block globally Program (A) to access internet (this is in the Application filtering).

Frederic

5. ht7890

ht7890 Registered Member

AH! Ok I see where you are coming from here, but if program (A) needs internet access how can I stop program (A) from using certain ports?

Can I set rules for specific programs (Application Filtering) rather than global settings (Internet Filtering) like I could in Outpost.

regards
    ht7890

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

In the application filtering, using the Edit button or double-clicking on the application (Advanced mode only).

Yes, the same as above.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.