Couple of questions about LNS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by JRCATES, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I am considering a new software firewall, and I just stumbled across Blackspear's Setup and Settings for Look ‘n’ Stop "installation tutorial" thread. He did a great job with it (looks like a bit of work and effort went into it), but I have a couple of questions.

In the Setup and Settings for Look ‘n’ Stop thread - posts 10, 11, and 12, where he refers to a file to download....I'm gathering that this is specifically for P2P clients, like Limewire, correct? I use Limewire, so that's why I'm asking. Currently, I have Limewire configured to receive but NOT SHARE files! So is that what this file and instructions will allow me to continue doing (if I decide to use LNS)?

The second question is that I have seen where NOD "recommends" Outpost Pro firewall. After researching a little more, I discovered that via AV-comparitives.org, in the November, 2005 testing, NOD scored 0% in the "script viruses" testing. I have read that Outpost Pro has options/filters specifically for "script blocking". Does LNS also have this? And if so, is that part of the "Standard Rules Set" or "Enhanced Rules Set"? And how does one go about ensuring that the necessary "script blocking/rules" are set properly?

Thanks...looking forward to learning more about this firewall app.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u configured limewire to not share files then i think u just need the rules. for them try these two threads: one, two (for teh first link, i have not tested the rules i recommended so be wary). neways lns is much more simpler than outpost. it simply offers packet filtering, application control, and dll detection. im sure ur AV can handle any script on ur hard drive. for the internet u can configure IE's security zones and for firefox u can use an extension like noscript.

3. JRCATES

Thanks, Fuser....seems like I can always count on you to offer a reply. As always, I appreciate your help :D

As for P2P client info, I found this. Ironic that LNS does NOT have a filtering rule for Limewire, since it is THE most popular file sharing client these days (over half a million downloads just last week on Download,com, where is it #4, and has been on the charts 133 consecutive weeks). Anyway, here is what I came across for application filtering rules for LNS.....not sure which one (if any) would be best suited for Limewire or not:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6284/lnsp2p3ol.png

Of course, I'm still not sure what Blackspear was referring to in his posts 10 through 12 in the Setup and Settings for Look ‘n’ Stop thread.

As for AVs handling scripts, since NOD scored 0% in that area in the latest round of tests via AV-comparitives, that's why I was asking if LNS has that capability or not (to set or assign rules for).

Anyway, I've heard that LNS supposedly has good service, and that's why I'm considering it more seriously than Outpost Pro at the moment. Guess it's time to put that to the test and see....

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

steps 10-12 is for sharing files between computers, i assume on a LAN. for script protection u can try script defender. also i can no longer find gnutella or shareaza rules, so im not sure i can help much more.

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Try using the proxomitron for killing scripts too. It works great on my pc, and it also allows you to block ads, popups, and really doing anything you want to a website, SWEEEEEET :cool:

Alphalutra1

6. JRCATES

Anybody know if Fredric is still aroundo_O

Or any of the LNS mods, for that matter?

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi JRCATES

Frederic most likely busy at work programming.

Were there some questions you needing answered?

8. JRCATES

Hi Phant0m,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I asked in the first post....they aren't huge questions, just a couple of things I am curious about:

1)In the Setup and Settings for Look ‘n’ Stop thread created by Blackspear - in posts 10, 11, and 12, where he refers to a file to download....I suspect that this is specifically for P2P clients, like Limewire...is that correct? I use Limewire, so that's why I'm asking. Currently, I have Limewire configured to receive but NOT SHARE files! So is that what this file and instructions will allow me to continue doing (if I decide to use LNS)?

2)I've seen where NOD "recommends" Outpost Pro firewall. After researching a little more, I discovered that via AV-comparitives.org, in the November, 2005 testing, NOD scored 0% in the "script viruses" testing. I've read that Outpost Pro has options/filters specifically for "script blocking". Does LNS also have this? And if so, is that part of the "Standard Rules Set" or "Enhanced Rules Set"? And how does one go about ensuring that the necessary "script blocking/rules" are set properly?

Thanks

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi JRCATES,

I'm not sure I've something interesting to add to the previous post :(

There is no special options in Look 'n' Stop for "script blocking".

As for P2P software, Limewire was not so popular when the page was created.
    At this time I don't think someone ever send to us a .rie for that software.
    If someone could send it, we will update the page.

Regards,

Frederic

10. Phant0m

* Blackspear doesn’t offer any p2p rules; you probably saw the Printer and File Sharing rules, so I’ve created and attached a version that should work for yea. And the rule is set to rely on process LIMEWIRE.EXE.

* I’m not sure I follow, you mean execution of scripts (… *.bat, *.shs)? Or you mean protections for different termination methods against the looknstop.exe process?

Attached Files:

11. JRCATES

12. Phant0m

Hey JRCATES

Of course, as long as you validated and give thumps up first. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.