Corrupted files after TI 9.0 restore - HELP, pls!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ber, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ber

ber Registered Member

Having restored from TI 9.0 with the message "Successfully restored!" I have discovered lots of corrupted files. I have run chkdsk and other recommended routines. How do I get my files back??

This is really scary. I thought my data safe with regular backup routines, using TI 9.0 with normal compression, validation etc. Now I am looking for a reliable alternative to TI (don't laugh - just bought TI 11).

Any suggestions? XP SP2, SATA HD.

Best regards
    BER

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Which build of Version 9 are you using? the latest and greatest was build 3854.
    Was this a disk/partition restore or was it files and folders?

A sucessfully restored message usually means just that. This implies that corrupted files existed and were included in the image.
    Have you got an earlier image you could try?

Xpilot

3. ber

ber Registered Member

Hi Xpilot,

Thank you for responding so quickly. TI Home 9.0 Build #3854.

I have restored files and folders (this feature is the reason why I originally preferred Acronis to other products).

In Windows Explorer the size of the files are shown all right. That's why (together with Acronis' confirmation of successful restore!) I did not suspect anything was wrong.

And guess what! Just yesterday I deleted earlier images in order to take a sector-by-sector image of c: - That did not work either ...

I have an earlier image of some of my data, though. I might try to restore these older data (as a disk restore, I suppose?). But what about my new data?

PS: Still looking for a reliable alternative. Safe data would make me sleep much better :).

Best regards
    BER

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I am afraid I must duck out at this point because I only ever do disk/partition images and restores :thumbd: .

Help needed for files and folders please.

Xpilot

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup Software.

As XPilot told the most probable reason why the files are got corrupted after restoring is that they were corrupted before and were included in the image. In order to back up entire disk successfully now please install the latest version of Acronis SnapAPI drivers which is responsible for all operations under hard disk drive when you create backup under Windows. As the reason of the issue can also be in 3rd party software interfering with Acronis True Image we would also recommend to try to create backup under Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (it uses Linux environment and that is why it can not be affected by 3rd party Windows applications). Please note it is necessary to use Acronis bootable Rescue Media created with the latest build of the program. Tell us please about results of backing up.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

6. GEvans

GEvans Registered Member

I've experienced the same problem as well (ATI 11 - latest build). I have one full backup and two differencials to work from and as near as I can tell, the full backup seems to be perfect - I haven't found any problems at all with files restored from it. The differencials however, the most recent one in particular - seem to have a few random files that are "currupt".

And by corrupt this is what I mean - first thing that tips me off that a file might be corrupt, is the fact that Windows shows a "generic" icon for the file (file size seems to be accurate though), then when trying to open the file in question I receive a "file not accessable, you might not have proper permissions, blah blah blah" error message. I've managed to keep ahead of this by simple restoring any "corrupt" files I run into from a earlier backup.

I also use Diskeeper 2008 and I'm curious if maybe there really IS a issue here. The only reason I am suspicious is because my full backup was made right after performing a manual defrag with Diskeeper, the differencials on the otherhand were made 1 and 2 weeks apart - while Diskeeper's "active defrag" had been enabled and running. I've read here in the forums that running Diskeepers active defrag shouldn't really be a problem as far as data corruption is concerned - but as I say, I'm suspicious!!

-GEvans

7. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

i find diskeeper rather suspicious, think it also installs a variety of startup tasks/services
    i'd do some testing with it removed

8. ber

ber Registered Member

Thank your for further information. I installed the drivers and tried to make a sector image of C with the Acronis bootable Rescue Media disc. But alas, I was told that I (an administrator) had not the privileges to do so.

Furthermore, using the Rescue Media disc requires my old mouse and keyboard - which by the way is set to a language other than English ... So regular backups with this method require equally regular changes of mouse and keyboard, too.

"Powerful Backup That is Easy to Do". That's your description of ATI Home 11, and I regret to say that I do not agree.

I also wonder why you suggest that I install drivers. I just purchased (and downloaded) ATI 11 the other day (latest build 8053).

What now?

/BER

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ber,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify, what indicated that the files were corrupted? Please also clarify the exact text of the error message that stated not enough priviliges, and when did it appear.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.