Corrupt media, is partial recovery possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jedinight2002, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 Registered Member

I am using the latest version of TI9 and i am trying to restore a backup.

I have concluded that the backup tib file is corrupt :'( , but this is a 45GB file - there must be some data availalble to recover - it can't all have been corrupted. :doubt:

So i try to recover using the Files and Folders method, but after about 644mb the process stops ["Error reading the file" Code 1 (1x40001) ]. o_O

Is there a way i can force Acronis to skip past the corrupt data and continue restoring what is left? If this program cannot restore any of a 45GB backup simply because of few bad bytes then i am certainly not impressed.

Please respond ASAP in order to restore my faith in Acronis products. :thumbd:

Thanks in advance :doubt:

Mike

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that if you have used the File/Folder backup method then you will be not able to Plug the image in order to restore separate files from it. If your image file became corrupt then we can recommend you to copy this file to another partition and check it using the "Check archive" tool included into Acronis True Image 9.0.

You can also try to check/restore this image file booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

If the image still remains corrupt then I'm afraid that there is no way to restore it.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. david junk

david junk Registered Member

Isn't this a serious flaw with the product? If restoring from many DVD's that are a few years old then it's inevitable there will be at least one error ? It would seem complete and utter madness that one wrong byte means that a restore is impossible?

David

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“If restoring from many DVD's that are a few years old … ”

As someone who’s been in the computer field for 30+ years, trust me, that is something that you never want to do. If you need to go back that far, then the backups need to be copied to new media on a regular basis. There was an interesting article not long ago (I can’t remember where) on how unreliable data on CD/DVD can get over a short period.

5. david junk

david junk Registered Member

I agree entirely, but also planning for the worst case!

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.