Core 2 Duo Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Genady Prishnikov, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I am comparing two laptops.

One has a Core 2 Duo MOBILE processor w/ 4MB L2 cache w/ 800 front size bus, with EM64T (64-bit) processing.

The other has Core 2 Duo regular processor w/2mb L2 cache and 533 front size bus, with no EM64T.

Would the mobile run cooler and speedier with the 800mhz FSB?

In the real world, would I notice a big difference between the two?
    Pros? Cons?

Thanks, as always!

Genady

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello Genady,
    can you provide any links to those two laptops?
    lodore

3. Genady Prishnikov

Here's one link:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=cj&pfp=cat3&product_code=346730
    That's the Compaq.

The other is a Dell built from their website with the main specs in the post above. Both with Windows XP, running at 2.0GHZ, really the differences are the centrino (Intel T2450) is a Compaq and the other (regular Intel processor T7300) is a Dell. The faster FSB, double L2 cache and being 64-bit has me leaning toward the Dell. But, these are not my strong points with computers.

Thanks for your help!!

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would lean towards the dell as well.
    they have fequent driver updates on there website and there laptops look better and seem to be better made.
    also dont forget the link below to remove all the crap from your new laptop.
    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home
    lodore

5. Genady Prishnikov

Thanks, Lodore. That's another reason I was leaning toward the Dell. When ordering from their website, you can now opt out of all the crapware. Nice touch, I thought.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello Genady,
    what laptop are you configering on dell?
    where is the option?
    I have never seen the option to opt out of the crap before.

but i did post this thread the other day
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=181033
    its a poll on dell ideas storm to have the option to not have the crap installed. so maybe dell finaly listened and now offer a no crap option?
    lodore

7. Genady Prishnikov

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Thanks Genady.
    it appears that even on the home section of the UK website you can opt out of some software preinstalled.
    the default for secuirty software is none now on all laptops.
    lodore

9. Genady Prishnikov

The security software is what surprised me, too! Defaults to Norton on the build page for Vostro Small Biz, but with option for "No installation of security software" (or some such wording). Quite a bit of that. Even with a tick to opt out of Adobe Acrobat Reader - that surprised me, too. Progress. By the way, you post some great stuff here!

On edit....Ahh, it says: "No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software"....Very good! No default Norton install!!

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Bought a great little Samsung Laptop for my wife a few months ago. Reformatted and reinstalled - great to find that the Samsung windows Xp disk had everything listed so that you only added what you wanted. Still don't like laptops but at least some of the manufacturers are starting to get the message

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I just hope they do the same for there desktops.
    dell make decent desktop but there crap installed is what put me off.
    plus the graphics card i want they dont have.
    lodore

12. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

The T7300 is the Core 2 Duo equivalent of a T2500 processor. They would both run @ 2GHz, a smidgen faster than the T2450 on the Compaq machine. The T2450 is from an older line of processors, the Core Duo, whereas the T7300 is newer (Core 2 Duo).
    In the real world, there would be a slight noticable difference between the T2450 and the T3200, with the latter being faster and slightly more energy efficient. If you intend to buy one, you should get the T7300, but do yourself a favor and look for the Santa Rosa platform because that chip will be even more energy efficient and will allow you to upgrade the processor further down the line.

The 4M cache will make a neligible difference in certain applications, not that much in the real world.

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Being a newer processor I would go with the Dell (T7300).

14. Genady Prishnikov

Thanks for the additional responses. Much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.