Copy image files from HD to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George S, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George S

George S Registered Member

I am a new user of Acronis True Image 11. I did make an image from my HD to a second HD, split into the size of a DVD. It did burn the imagefiles to some DVD's with Nero and wanted it to keep the image that way. But True image cannot read the files on the DVD's. It gives a report concerning something with sector 63, which I do not understand. If I use the files on the HD, there is no problem.
    Can someone explain me what the problem is or do I do something?
    Thanks!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Probably one of the DVDs is defective.

Do you get the error as soon as you start to validate the DVD image? (by putting the last DVD in) Or, does the validation proceed to where you have to swap DVDs and then give the error?

Try burning a new copy of the DVD that is most likely where the error is.

3. George S

I did some more testing. The image exists from 5 dvd' s. The last gives the error concerning sector 63. But also at the others True Image gives a an error that these cannot be read. If I copy the images of dvd' s back to the HD, the files are OK.
    On the internet I found some more stories about this sector 63 error, but I don't understand the meaning of it.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

This may be a problem specific to certain versions of Nero and certain DVD-RW drives.

When you burned the files to the DVDs, what program (Nero 5, 6, 7, 8?) did you use and what DVD burner?

Do you have access to another DVD burner with a different program which you could use to burn another set of DVDs to see if the problem is the same?

I regularly burn TI images to DVDs and have not had a problem having them read, so this isn't a common problem.

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Most likely that DVD has a poorly written few bytes in sector 63 and ATI doesn't retry as many times as Explorer and so ends up with an error while Explorer happily copies the file to the HD. If you try reburing the DVD in question, the problem will probably go away -- however, to be safe, I'd burn the DVD at a slower speed if you can. DVD errors multiply greatly with increases in burning speed.

6. George S

Yes, I have another burner in my notebook. The problem there is exactly the same. I did use the latest version of Nero 8.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If the backup files were originally created as a group of files on your hard driive, unless I am wrong, you will need to copy them from DVD back into a folder on a hard drive in order to restore from that particular backup set. In other words, you will need to recreate the backup files as it existed on the storege hard drive.

8. George S

I give up, it won't work. I already intended to buy an external HD. The other two are internal ones. I buy the external HD and put the backup there and forget the whole story of the DVD's.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  9. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

The BEST thing you could do-a restore from an EHD is faster than from disks from what I'm told + you don't have to worry about scratching a EHD OR Flash drive-I use BOTH (in case one of those 2 ever goes bad).

10. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Have somebody here try the same workflow that George do? :
    Create TIB-files on hdd, burn tib-files to DVDs and try a restore from the DVDs?

George, try following:
    Copy the DVD-tib-files back to a folder on a hdd and try the restore from there.
    Does it work?

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You have to split the files as you create them with ATI, otherwise, you have to recombine them before trying to restore.

In either case, using ATI to split up a backup on the fly or using a burner to split a large backup, it's generally much faster to copy the resotre fiel(s) to a HD before doing a restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.