Coolwebsearch found

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Michael_aust, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Guest

I run spyware blaster and spyware guard and there both all up to date and have all protection enabled. But just then i ran a scan with aol spyware protection software and it found coolwebsearch. I was never notified that it was trying to be installed by spyware guard. How coem spyware blaster didnt stop it. The only software I have downloaded recently is Ewido anti Trogen software. I read all its liscence and it didnt say anything about additional software being installed in it. So any ideas how it got through? I thouth spyware guard was supposed to alert you of these kind of things.

I blocked and deleted it completely with aol spyware and it says its gone when i restarted my machine and ran the scan again. I also ran adaware personal se and that found nothing, neither did ewido i fact i ran that before aol and that didnt pick it up. Do you think it will have been gotten rid of from my machine or shouldi download spybot just to be sure?

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi Michael,

The Coolwebsearch - pest is a very sneaky and dangerous thing on the net.
    With all those apps..its still easy to go through.

You'd want to download the CWShredder if you haven't done so yet.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Michael,

After the AOL scan....do you recall if the CoolWebSearch item\items it found were located in the below registry key or can you post a screen shot of what it found ?

This reg key--->HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting

4. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

5. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Guest

Im not really sure what you mean by what you sai Bubba but here is the log for when it found it. I cant seem to find the link to add images like you FAQ post said. I have uploaded it to a webpage. Please post and tell me when you have viewed it so I can take it down

http://www.geocities.com/toafaultrock/coolwebsearchinfo.JPG

i dont thin k it gave me any windows registry info just the directories it was stored at. Hoope this is soem help.

Do you think it will have actualy gone from my machine or could tere still be bits lurking around. I ditn want to have to go into the registry because i dotn have a clue what im doing in it.

6. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Guest

just downloaded and ran the cws shredder from download.com i presume its the same as the other person posted. It found absolutly nothing. So presume the system is clear i ran it twice and it gave nothing so.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Michael....You can take your picture down.

The file name nsreg.dat is a valid file name for Windows XP....which is what your operating system is....correct ?

I also do not trust the AOL scan program and it's record for False positives. If I'm reading you correctly....you scanned with Adaware before you scanned with AOL and Adaware did not find anything....correct ?

If that's the case....and if you have the latest version of Adaware with up to date signature files....I'm leaning toward a false positive with AOL spyware cleaner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  8. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Guest

I scanned with ewido first, that found nothing. So i ran my usual aol scan expecting to find nothing it came up with that one file so cleaned it up. I ran adaware afterwards and it found nothing. I also ran that cwshredder and that said there was nothing. o your probobly right it was a false possitive. Yep I do run windows XP

9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Michael, I would agree with Bubba that it sounds like a false positive. Incidentally, I 'fixed' a friend of mines' PC last week which was infected with Coolweb 'about blank' and COOLWEB shredder did not pick that up either, which was surprising. BUT Adaware SE did, however, I ended up having to manually edit the registry to get rid completly.
    Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.