Coolest programs ATM.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNAS, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Hello!

Long time ago I read this forum a lot. Then I start to play some games and I was totally hooked. Game ended, I won and now I have lots of free times. So what's are the coolest security softwares atm? I wanna test them all and make my security suite again.

I ask straight because it takes so much time to read 3 months threads and posts.

MikeNAS

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Mike, Please tell everyone what OS and current real-time and on-demand security programs your running. That will help with narrowing down the possibilities.

Cheers, innerpeace

3. MikeNAS

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT & nLited Windows 2k3. I'm building new suite so I don't have any security programs atm.

MikeNAS

4. innerpeace

For AV trends/detection rates, you can look here. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ Kaspersky seems to be popular here. Comodo has a good, free firewall and the latest version3 is in Alpha. SuperAntiSpyware comes highly recommended (It has a free on demand scanner too) . SSM System Safety Monitor is suppose to be a nice HIPS (It has a free version also).

I don't want to get into comparing products (it's not permitted anymore as far as I know), but what where you looking for specifically? Suites, AV, AM, AS, HIPS, sandboxes or virtualization programs? I can tell you what is hot in my opinion, but other opinions may will vary greatly. It may help to know if your looking for the lightest apps too.

I don't don't mean to sound like a pain, but once opinions get started here, they tend to get out of control. Everybody has their favorites and I do too. My system is running fine with what I currently have, but that doesn't mean that it would work for you. It's best to gather as much data as you can and try the programs for yourself.

I'm not sure your familiar with BOClean or not, but it has a new completely free version now. Comodo owns the company now. BOClean is considered an anti-trojan.

5. MikeNAS

I don't want to use any suite. Actually I think that there is no reason to use any AV. I really like virtualization and sandboxes. HIPS is of course must have program.

Past I use SSM Free. Is it still king of the hill? I know PowerShadow too but sadly it's not free anymore. Any other? SandboxIE is also awesome but is there any new programs in that area?

After all I use only free programs. Thanks for helping me (again) ;)

MikeNAS

EDIT: Actually I have license to BOClean but good that it's free now.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Firewall + Firefox.
    Mrk

8. innerpeace

Check out the software and services forum here at Wilders. Returnil RVS has a free personal version virtualization app. It's like PS, but it only protects/virtualizes the system partiton (like single shadow mode). It also protects the MBR. I've been using it for 2 days and it works as advertised. It also has the option to create a VP (virtual partition) to save your data in if you don't already have a data partition. There are at least 3 different threads there discussing it.

I like Sandboxie also. There is also GeSWall and DefenseWall that I have heard about. A new HIPS is EQSecure and a discussion here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=170691

I hope this at least gets you started. It's way past bedtime here so I will have to say goodnight.

Cheers, innerpeace

9. MikeNAS

Thanks guys (and girls). I test now Returnil and EQSecure.

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Excellent choices. I highly recommend them myself AND USE THEM.

Best of luck. LoL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.