Cookies on Wilders?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by puff-m-d, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

My pleasure ;)

regards.

paul

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It seems to me that if you have an avatar made by someone else (thanks Snap! <g> ) that they send to you as file- and then you upload that avatar from your computer to the site (Wilders, in this case) - that it won't cause any "cookie" issues.

At least that's been my experience.

However, some other sites won't let you upload an avatar from your computer like that, but they do have an option to let you upload it from a URL.

I've done that on several sites (using the url from my wilders avater) and then people reading my posts do get wilders cookies. (I don't see any way around that for them unless they simply disable seeing other people's avatars in their settings for that site, if such settings are available).

(See this thread )

But, a custom avatar uploaded from your own computer as a file seems to be the "cleanest" way to go. Pete

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Hi miles
    please follow advice here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    and post a hjt log in the hijack forum

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This is a valid point, but cookies can make the situation worse since they allow a site to identify you as a previous visitor - and if you visited that site for any other reason (and especially if you had any login on that site), this could be added to your profile there. Referer information could be included also - so the worst case situation is that the third party site gets a partial picture of what threads you have read on Wilders and when (much like DoubleClick's user tracking).

Blocking external content is the best counter to this and filters like Proxomitron and some firewalls (Outpost 2.1) offer this as an option. However this can throw an awful lot of babies out with the bathwater on some sites.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use Proxomitron as well as Firebird. A cookie control program as well as popup stopper is built in. It makes my Cookie Pal program almost obsolete.

They will never get this browser out of my hands. :D

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why not simply require all avatars to be uploaded from the users computer? It never occured to me that I could it do any other way! You could also start an avatar forum where users who like to resize, animate, etc. avatars could help out....ala what we have at dslr.

Of course, I run Proxo and either Firefox or Mozilla most of the time and I have them set to accept cookies on prompt from the originating web site only. On IE I accept all session cookies and first party cookies at prompt only and all third party ones are denied. So, I don't have this problem. :)

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, all avatars are uploaded to this forum for display. There are no more thrid-party linked avatars here. If you enter a URL as you avatar source, the software still uploads it to this forum rather than linking to that third-party webserver.

This thread was from Sept of 2002 before alaskamiles replied to it this morning. What this topic was about, ie. the third-party linked avatars causing cookie warnings, had nothing to do with their question. (Meaning avatars here have nothing to do with what they asked. Derek's instructions were on point as that person seems to have a hijack issue.) Everyone just read this thread as if it was still in that context, but that was all related to the old YaBB SE software and is no longer applicable here on vBulletin.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

EEgads!! :D :oops: :p Duh!

Yep. I didn't even notice the dates. I was a bit puzzled though because I thought I vaguely recalled that the avatar sources changed with this new software...but then I saw this thread and decided my memory was faulty...never thinking to check the dates!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.