Cookie Upkeep

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MakoFusion, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

I was wondering how exactly to control cookies and what all I need to do and look for and maintain for this aspect of security. Right now the whole mumble concerning cookies is a grey area for me. Does anyone have any clear input on a free and light program to use or how I can go about mantaining cookies and how exactly to secure them?

2. Snowperson

Snowperson Guest

Cookies in and of themself are not all good nor all bad....FE:

When you logged in as a member your computer received a cookie from this website......its a needed cookie.....not at all bad.
    However, there are tracking cookies also....bad....that are unknowing dropped on people's computers by numerous companies....the sole purpose being to track a person's surfing habits and report back to the company......
    this is a very simplified explanation so as to keep my post short......an give you some idea of both good and bad cookies........
    Cookie management is very easy....internet explorer and several other broswer gives a user options regarding accepting/denieing cookies.
    COOKIEWALL.....a small..nice program can be also used.....even suggested. This program allows control of most type of cookies....giving the user a choice to keep some or keep none...plus other features. there are many other programs that do the same.
    Cleaning cookies is imo essential......take a look at MRUBLASTER offered by Javacool who has a forum here......allows you several options.....a very good program.
    lastly,,there are STORED COOKIES AND SESSION COOKIES.....doing as there name implies. Unfortunately, many session cookies don't expire for a zillion years......
    Just deleteing cookies does not remove the cookie entirely....the index.dat file on your computer must also be cleaned (see: MRUBLASTER)
    This has been a brief post not ment to entail all details on cookies. You should get a general idea which is all most users really need.

aka: snowman

3. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

I am now using Cookie Wall and SD5000's Advanced Filters for Proxomitron and the highest settings for cookies in Mozilla.

4. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.