Cookie Control

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zarzenz, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

What's the best way to control cookies Is it possible to keep the cookies needed for forum use and stop all others. Also is the index file needed. Any info on this subject would be welcome and advice on any free programs to sort it.

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

CookieCooker is good - really cool - from anon.tu-dresden.de I believe. Others here will chip in with their own favourites.

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Zar

I was just about to log out when I noticed your post...so please excuse my briefness.
    I have tryed a couple of cookie managers...but recently Spy 1 introduced me to cookie muncher (freeware) an does it ever rock!!......I have since installed it on several computers.......

snowman

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

zarzenz - No, the index.dat (if that's what you're referring to) isn't needed for anything - unless it has some kind of unknown 'M$ only' function. There are various ways to delete it, one of the easiest of which is (depending on your OS) by use of a little program called Spider116, available from here: http://www.webattack.com/php/download.php?id=103233&app=spider&r=l . A 'Search' with any search-engine for 'index.dat' will get you much more information.

CookieMuncher (direct d/l link): http://software.design.tripod.com/download/cookiem.zip . HTH Pete

5. controler

controler Guest

Cookiemuncher link does not work direct from here for me.
    Had to copy and paste into addressbar.

Why is this software offered at a tripod site?

Here is the link to authors site taken from cookiemuncher
    text file.
    http://www.bigwig.net/softwaredesign

6. zarzenz

Thanks guys...I've now downloaded both the cookie muncher and the spider...that web attack site looks like its got lots of good stuff so will have to check out all of the programs on there some time, but for now I will concentrate on installing these two and learning how to use them etc. I'll know where to come if I need any advice on setting them up so thanks to you all. :)

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Bear in mind that Spider does not work with all OS's. Pete

8. controler

controler Guest

Webattack also hosts some of the very programs most antitrojan
    software is trying to fend off such as the Keylogger spyer program listed on their home page.

9. zarzenz

Yeah...its an impressive site.

BTW my OS is WinME so hoping spider will work...anyway I'll give it a go and see what happens...cheers.

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

controler - is there a problem?

WebAttack is a software-hosting site just like a lot of others.

To wit - they host all kinds of software.

Steve Seymour has his site at tripod because it's free for him there.

I point people out to programs based on where I got them from - if anyone doesn't care for those sources, they're quite free to do a 'Search' on any browsers search bar and find it somewhere else. Pete

11. controler

controler Guest

No no I am sure the TDS-3 crew will be happy that you did.
    Since I sent the Informer_setup.exe file to dem allready.
    I feel all keyloggers should be included in TDS-3
    Informer has all the mundane features all the rest of the keyloggers have.

thanks again Spy 1

[glow=red,2,300]controler[/glow]

12. zarzenz

controler...sorry I got the wrong end of the stick there regarding the webAttack site...as I now understand what you meant after reading spy1's last post. So I guess I'll have to be careful with what I look at there.

spy1...forgot to mention...yes it was the index.dat file I was referring to, so thanks for that but I guess you will have gathered that anyway from my spider download.

Thanks again guys...still learning about all this stuff.

13. snowy

snowy Guest

ZAR

be advised that over the years I have download numerous programs from webattack....an will continue to do so... just as Spy 1 said its a hosting site....there are tens of thousand of hosting sites.....an it would be obsurd to expect or ask for the site owners to check each and every program......an even if they did its still the responsibility of each computer user to check each program himself.....
    right now I am not sure whats being implied regarding cookie muncher or Spider......or webattack for that matter.....what I can say is that I fully trust Spy 1...an have for a few years....he was instrumental big time in my learning how to use a computer as was Mickey the Man....an Paul.......these guys walked me one step at a time......an during a few of those times I wasn't in the best of moods......Spy 1 is as solid as they come...he is not going to knowingly or intentionally send someone to a bad website.
    yes you., me..an everyone else needs to be careful no matter what the name of the program nor who made it....hijacked programs are common....even the authors of programs know that.....so yes always use caution and always check....only do it as regular good practice.....an not from fear.

snowy the snowman

14. zarzenz

Thanks for that snowman...well as I said I'm very new to all this so it's only by asking you guys that I'm getting there.

Nice to see you back in full swing snowman...hope you have made a full recovery...cheers now. :)

15. controler

controler Guest

Oh dear

I am not saying Spy 1 is not trustable at all
    I was just thanking him for the link.
    I also know many sites offer all forms of software ;)
    Look at Download.com
    actualy If i am looking for something, I go there.
    Nice way to select desired software by Freeware, shareware
    ect.
    I am surprised alot are just looking into PGP here. it has been around for years.
    I guess I would hope as you people make your travels online and come accross new files (keyloggers) you would report them to
    the TDS crew.
    MAybe I missunderstood here and not all Wilsers forum moderators ect support TDS?
    Correct me if wrong please?
    [glow=red,2,300]controler[/glow]

16. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Controler,

Not necessarelly. All DCS Mods surely are in favor of TDS. All other mods are free to support any anti-trojan software they want to. This isn't a DCS/TDS board at first; it's a security/privacy board. Although we do host the "Open DCS Forums" - and for good reasons in our opinion, anyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, moderators included.

regards.

paul

17. snowy

snowy Guest

Controler

you have a way of changing topics mid-stream....why are you bringing keyloggers...TDS-3 and the moderators into a very simple topic.......are you attempting to instigateo_O I already stated that I fail to see what you are impling.....an most definitely it appeared to me that you were accusing Spy 1......webattack,, cookie muncher and Spider.......
    but so as to not be un-pleasent I am going to pass on posting further comments......

snowt the snowman

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

No need to get upset here, gents ;).

regards,

paul

19. controler

controler Guest

My last post on this thread will be this.

I am now finding out I missunderstood some of the posters here at the Wilders Forums. I thought the whole gang Used TDS
    I was wrong. I admit it.
    If I devieated from the original topic is was for good cause.
    I brought to attention the keylogger on the site. I also
    mentioned I thought any one of us would senf the sample to TDS.
    Now I realize Not all Wilders Posters side with the TDS peoples.
    but I did think we all perty much had the same purpose.

20. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And we do all have the same purpose here, controler - to help people maintain or improve their safety, security and privacy online at every turn and in any way we can.

My apologies if I mis-understood the thrust of your posts. Pete

21. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi guys! I need to clarify something about index.dat files and Win98. From my understanding you do not need them in your Temporary Internet Files Folder. However, with Win98 and Win98se you need them to link between the programs in your OS outside of the Temporary Internet Files Folder. I learned this when I had some outside ones removed. Ouch! I was able to replace them and set it up that only the ones in the Temporary Internet Folder would be deleted. This could be important!

22. controler

controler Guest

Spy 1
    I have the utmost respect for you and I wasn't trying to come off as mistrusting.
    You have been a good friend here and trusted and had faith in me
    And yes I know , I need to keep my posts to the correct threads,
    dang will I ever get that right ? :oops:

I also aggree about the index.dat files. they are needed
    They are everywher on XP Even the desktop has the hidden
    Index.Dat file

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thank you, controler - I appreciate that. Pete

24. zarzenz

Guys...I installed spider...wow...what an amazing little utility that is. First of all before running it I thought I'd try a little experiment, so I deleted a couple of cookies to the recycle bin...this forum cookie to remember me as logged in...and the doubleclick opt out cookie...to keep Ad-aware happy. My idea was to put them back after in the hope that they would still work (for me).

Now for the most mind blowing bit.

I deleted all other cookies...then ran spider. I did wonder what the other little app...spiderbite...was for but that became obvious later. Anyway...guys...I could not believe what I saw. These little index.dat files were in the cookies (that's the one you always see) and in the temp int files and in the history file and they still had all the details of all the sites I had ever been to. Well that just did it for me.

So I put the little spider to work...it bit...and I was clean.

Then I was able to get the little run down of what it found in the spiderbite part...thats nice.

So to complete my experiment...I restored my cookies from the bin. But it soon became obvious that they no longer worked. So it seems that for a cookie to be valid it must have been created by windows and then entered into the index file. Hmmm...very crafty.

So this is my idea.

1) Do a complete clean up with spider.
    2) Install cookie muncher...my next priority.
    3) Enter the sites I want to get the good cookies for so they get re-created in the index file and then allow them in the muncher.
    4) Set muncher to stop all other cookies.

Now if I'm right on this...that should give me a very clean index all the time and then I will only have the cookies I need and no others can ever get recorded in that nasty little index.dat file.

Thanks guys...any comments on my above routine would be most welcome...I now feel as if I'm getting in control here.

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Zarzenz,

You could also have a look at IEClean (for IE) (or NSClean (for Netscape)) at www.nsclean.com ; and at WindowWasher at www.webroot.com .
    Very fine programs, but not free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.