Convert PGP keyring format for use with Kleopatra

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Palancar, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Just trying to save myself some work here. I have several public keys and a few private key-sets from my "PGP days", which I would like to use with Kleopatra. I have the files saved as .pkr and .skr (private and secret king rings) but Kleopatra doesn't recognize them.

If I still had PGP in use this would be easy to do. All my stuff is currently 64 bit and I am using Gnupg/Kleopatra now. I only need the open pgp features and nothing else. I occasionally like to send encrypted emails/attachments and specifically PM's on forums fully PGP encrypted (to known friends) so there are no prying eyes at the Admin levels on the sites.

If I would have known this day was coming I would have saved them in .asc format because Kleopatra does recognize that. Is there any type of conversion utility available that would make this easy? Once converted I won't need PGP again.

I do have the option of creating a 32 bit VM and installing PGP just to do the conversion. That is a bit of work and I am hoping there is something easier out there. Ideaso_O?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Palancar

I downloaded PGP 8.0 from media fire. I may just use an XP 32 bit VM and go from there for the conversion. Unless someone chimes in with something easier I'll go that route tomorrow.

I hate the new (non-PGP like) way that "pgp" is handled in 64 bit versions. I do like free GNU but it does lack some administrator features that I loved with large keyring management. I am past those needs now and I just want privacy when I decide its needed.

3. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Can you export to clipboard? Text? The last "PGP" I used was 6.5.8 CKT, so I'm a little rusty on export methods.

How about not worrying about the entire keyring, and just do individual keys? Just spit-balling here.

PD

4. Palancar

PD its a no go. I used 6.5.8 for many years. I trusted Zimmerman and his "then" team. That would be the version I'ld still be using if it worked on 64 bit systems.

I am going to do the conversion (or at least attempt to) later today. My keyring has several dozen keys that I don't want to have to ask for again. My friends don't post their keys to open public servers and neither do I for that matter, even though we know that is how PGP is designed.

Does GNUPG/Kleopatra fully support 4096 bit keys? I notice it only creates 3K keys, but will it accept 4096?? Lots of my PGP public keys are 4096 so I am hoping they will still work.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Yes it accept 4096 I use under Kleopatra/GPG 4096 bit keys created in latest version of PGP (there was an option to export keys and it export them in asc extension if memory serves me well)

6. PaulyDefran

Yes, 4096 is fine. I have and use several 4096/4096 RSA/ELG-E keys without problems. I think I created a 4096/4096 RSA/RSA key, and then changed the encryption sub-key to a 4096 ELG-E key...but I can't remember :D

PD

7. Palancar

Creer and PD,

Thanks. I plan on converting the whole ring to asc. Its easy with PGP but no options in Kleopatra. I may have to import the keys individually if GNU doesn't have keyring features (mass import). Its no big deal. Kleopatra appears to be more for individual "light" use. I am used to large keyrings and enterprise priv's. Again, I don't need them anymore.

8. Palancar

PD,

Did you do the sub encryption out of necessity? Did the older 6.5.8 type 4096 keys not work without re-encryption of a sort?

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Do you have installed GPA?

10. PaulyDefran

No, I did it because I'm a nerd, and read a post by a crypto-nerd that said that that was the best combo :D But what do I know :D I'll see if I can find it and put it up.

PD

11. Palancar

Creer,

When I get home I'll check. I am new to GNU. When I did the install I told it to ONLY do open PGP. I know I passed on any certificate stuff because I don't need it. I simply want to send a few private open PGP emails and encrypted notes from time to time.

This looks to have a shallow learning curve. Once I get a few keys imported I will transmit a few items and expect to get it down.

I can see my harddrive remotely. What should I check for to answer you? Of what significance is my answer?

12. Creer

Creer Registered Member

If you installed Kleopatra from gpg4win installer then in this installer is a lists of components to install - there is also GPA (GNU Privacy Assistant).
    With GPA on the board solution is simple - open GPA click "Import" button from main toolbar and open to import .pkr then .skr files - and you are done.
    All these keys will also shows up in Kleopatra since GPA and Kleopatra using the same GPG core.

13. Palancar

Well that sounds easy. If I didn't install the assistant I'll reinstall and add it. Thanks

14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

You are welcome.
    I've just checked and this method works for me.

15. Palancar

Got home and re-installed from scratch. Worked like a charm. I did not have that module installed. I try to keep my disk lean and sometimes it costs me. LOL!!

The assistant sucked in my entire keyring in a blink. I'll play with it for awhile but it looks to be almost a match for PGP in just about every way.

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Good to hear that it works also for you :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.