Control Center does not open or hangs

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JoeyLem, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeyLem

JoeyLem Registered Member

As the title states, the control center (CC) often does not open or hangs on three seperate machines. 2 fully updated XP, and 1 fully update 2k machine. Note that this is the trial, but I would still like to get this resolved. I have been recommending NOD32 to those I do computer work for, and I'm a bit worried that they will run into this problem if they have purchased it.

The two XP machines have all services running, and occasionally the CC will not open on startup. The win2k machines will not open up the CC at all. I have run into this problem before, and a reinstall fixes it. There are no error messages thrown, nothing in the event viewer, and definately no viruses or malware on the systems.

Is there anything I can do to get this resolved without the reinstall? I have at least three computers I would like to use NOD32 on after the trial expires, but I want to make sure this problem can be fixed first. Aside from this, I'd just like to say great job on this product! :thumb:

EDIT: On demand scanning does not open either. nod32krn is up and running, no errors on hard drive.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

3. JoeyLem

Thanks for the quick response. I've read through all the threads, and I still have not been able to resolve this matter without reinstalling.

Just want to mention that this usually occurs after disabling AMON - I use NOD32 exclusively for the on demand scanning, so I disable most other services. I've tried restarting, ran hijack this, and spyware/adaware/pest patrol and housecall. No luck so far.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

you should check whether under Control Panel-> Adm Tools-> Services your NOD32 service is set to Automatic and also under msconfig-> Startup the nod32.exe is checked. ;)

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Are you able to run an on-demand scan from Safe Mode?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Perhaps you could drop an email to support @ eset.com and will send you some diagnostic tools that will provide us information about all installed software.

7. JoeyLem

I sent off the email, thanks!

As to the questions above, yes, the NOD32 service is started. No, I cannot start the on-demand scan in safe mode. It isn't that big of a deal for me to have to reinstall it; even with this problem, I wouldn't trade off for any other AV.

This has happened on my windows 2000 laptop as well, so not being able to open anything might be a windows 2000 exclusive thing. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I tried everything I could think of to get this working again.

XP machines only seem to have the control center lock up on boot from time to time.

EDIT: Oh, and now it seems nod32krn is ramping up to 50-78% CPU usage on disk access - AMON maybe? Even though I had it disabled? Just tried disabling the nod32krn service, and oddly, the control panel will actually give me some feedback now. The standard cannot communicate with the service, but before nothing would happen. On-demand still won't open, but it is a slight improvement.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What anti-virus was on your system prior to NOD32?

Cheers :D

9. JoeyLem

I evaluated Panda and AVG, both of which were uninstalled prior to testing the next AV. (All services and files are gone from both). Only AIM and the ATI catalyst control center open on startup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.