Context died; Runaway loop on Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rj0, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rj0

rj0 Registered Member

My attempts to restore from CD-R keep resulting in "Context died" messages ("ohc:1394_0:Iso Recv") and "Runaway loop while stopping context" messages wildly generated on and on. What's happening?

My only luck with restores have been with using the original CD from TrueImage 6.0, but the only images I can restore with that are ancient. I upgraded to TrueImage 8.0, then 9.0 through download purchases, so no original CDs for those versions, only the recovery media created through TrueImage's menu. Recovery CD-Rs with either 8.0 or 9.0 fails in exactly the same way. I even tried a couple of different 9.0 builds. Same result, restore CD-R gets written fine (and disk utilities indicate that the CD-Rs are perfectly readable), but when I try to boot from them, crash ... .

The only thing I seem to have determined in that 'safe' mode with 9.0 does not have the same problem (but unfortunately the images are on USB drives), so is it the USB drivers? Unfortunately, I am on a Toshiba laptop (CD/DVD-R, no floppies), and USB is really all I have (need to image up to 60GB). But TrueImage 6.0 doesn't have this problem! It works, but it won't bring up any image newer than a year old. Any ideas?

Ron Jurman

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rj0,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all please download the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Then create a new bootable CD and see whether the problem remains.

If it doesn't help please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. rj0

rj0 Registered Member

Irina,

Thanks very much for the quick reply, especially on a weekend!

I have been using build 2302 (although I also tried my earlier version 9 build, and a version 8 build), so that's already been tried. And yes, I already am registered with an account and for both versions 8 and 9 at acronis.com, so that's already done.

As for "boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version)", I am not sure I completely understand. What is "rescue disk (the full version)"? My versions 8 aqnd 9 of TrueImage were purchased as download versions so I have no prepackaged rescue disk (unless I go back to version 6, which does work, but can only recover very old archive images, which is where I am currently stuck), just the ones I created from the "Create Bootable Rescue Media" option on the TrueImage menu, using CD-Rs (I have now burned 5 different CD-Rs, using different verions/builds/etc. trying to get one that boots; note: they all are readable and disk utilities say they are fine). All of these CD-Rs get the same error, but after the Acronis logo comes up. Should I try again with these but use F11 when the logo comes up? btw: I am on Windows XP Pro.

Regards, and thanks again,

Ron Jurman

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rj0,

When you create Acronis Bootable CD you should see the bootable media wizard that ask you to select either complete (full) or safe loader version.

I can try to explain the difference between the Full and Safe version of bootable media:

The Full version is the recommended choice for bootable media. The full version of Acronis bootable media is a bootable image based on Linux operating system. It contains drivers to restore the Acronis image from devices that do not have direct BIOS support. The Safe version of the bootable image contains a bootable image based on DOS and only supports devices that have direct BIOS support such as floppy disk drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD drives and IDE hard disk drives.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just to add that, depending on the make and model of the motherboard, you can often find that the Acronis "Safe" environment detects an external USB hard drive. Just make sure the drive is connected and switched on prior to commencing the boot process (with the BIOS set to boot from a CD-ROM first).

Regards

6. rj0

rj0 Registered Member

Sorry about the delay. I was out of town for a couple of days. I will give these recommendations a try this evening.

btw: A quick test of the F11 boot results in a couple of pages of Linux logs, followed by dozens of pages of scrolling 'Context died/Runaway loop' logs, and what looks like (after a couple of minutes) a couple of pages of unlocated items logs, and finally a prompt. -- I won't have my digital camera available for several days, so I will have to write what I can down of all this (but that's going to be limited, of course, can't do dozens of pages of writing). -- Any logs I should focus on?

Regards,

Ron Jurman

7. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

It looks like Acronis stated in post #2 above that you only need the last few lines of the output to send to them.

8. rj0

rj0 Registered Member

thebigdintx,

Yes, I saw`that, but the last few lines that I recall looked pretty much just like the last couple of pages, and a lot of the earlier stuff looked a lot more interesting (that, and I'm not sure they've had to review log reports that dumped dozens of pages of logs before), so I just wanted some clarifications (I am going to have to write it down, and when the computer's back up, type it in yet again, so it's actually double work, as well. I just want to get it right.).

Regards,

Ron Jurman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.