Constant Tweeking

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am trying to find out if this is normal. I will get a bunch of logs where one trusted program is trying to get to another program. So I go into PG and allow the trusted program to do its thing. All calms down, then I start getting more logs. Another trusted exe wanting to be allowed. Is it correct for me to allow the exe's? They are in PG and I have run TDS3 and NOD32 to be sure I'm clean.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What I've had, and it may be what you are asking, Prog B wants to access Prog A, so you add Prog B and give it allow privileges. Next thing you know Prog C wants access to B which is being blocked.

Assuming all are trusted, my feeling in this case is normally I wouldn't have worried about protecting program B so I will add it to PG, but turn off the blocking, and only give it allow privileges. This way it can access program A, but won't start a daisy chain, when something wants to access B.

Make sense??

3. WilliamP

I have had a couple wanting ctfimon.exe. It is just that it seems like you have everyone satisfied then another one starts wanting something.

4. Peter2150

William is it ctfimon.exe or ctfmon.exe. Do you have Microsoft Office. I had ctfmon.exe wanting Global Hooks privileges. When I added it every office app wanted to be able to access it. Ctfmon.exe relates to speech stuff with office. So what I did was turn on the option to allow it Global Hooks, but I turned off all the blocking so I didn't need to add every office app.

5. WilliamP

You are right Peter . It was ctfmon wanted Global hook. The reason I'm posting is it will go a while with no logs . Then start logging something else. Thank you for your help.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I do not have cftmon in the PG list, as far as I am aware it has no detrimental effects on my PC and as it is not related to security I just I ignore it.
    If it caused a problem I would add it. I do not use the Office speech engine things so, for me, it is not a problem :)

7. WilliamP

It wasn't initally on my protected list ,but it kept wanting global hook. So I added it .

8. Peter2150

Yep. Once ctfmon is in there, if blocked, any MS Office app like word, or excel will want to access, so then you have to add all of them. Just gets messy. Ctfmon really doesn't need to be blocked.

9. WilliamP

I went ahead and removed the blocking so now maybe they will all be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.