Connecting laptop via wireless to SAFECOM Swart2-54125

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by chris18, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris18

chris18 Registered Member

I hope someone can give me some urgent help on the following'

I have to install a Safecom SWART2-54125 for my daughter tomorrow, Monday 20th, to connect her desktop PC via either RJ-45 or USB and also my grandsons laptop via wireless.

I already have the same router working on my system serving two hardwired desktop PC's and my own laptop via wireless.

From what I remember, and reading the Safecom FAQs, installing the router to the desktop is fairly simple. However, I can't remember what I had to do to get my laptop connected via wireless and I have been unable to find anything on the Safecom site to jog my memory (not had any reply on my forum question either).

Would welcome any simple step by step help please on setting up the laptop.

Also, on my own laptop I have a secure system, I used WPA with a ten digit string which if I recall is supposed to be more secure than WEP but again I can't remember exactly what I did so don't know how to proceed on my grandsons laptop.

I recently looked at my grandsons laptop as it is running Vista Home Basic which I have not seen before and although it recognised my wireless network it required a password to connect and I had no idea what to input (I assume it was to do with the WPA security.

I do remember having to change settings in Windows (XP Pro) to setup the security but again and this late stage can't remember what I did.

Whilst thinking about this I realise that I did not make a note of the PSK string when I set the WPA on my laptop. I have found Wireless WEP Key Password Spy http://www.alpinesnow.com/wepkeypassword.shtml which will allow the string to be displayed but this is a commercial product and the demo version doesn't display the WPA string only the string on the adapter card.

Is there an equivalent freeware utility I can use to display the string so that I can make a note for future reference. As everything is working OK I don't want to change the string, just in case things go wrong, although this would be a logical step.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.