Confusion or Problem with Managed Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SemiP, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Just installed ATI 10 / 4871 on XP Professional.

Created Managed Backup Directory.

Set File Limit to 2.

Backed up System Partition first time, selecting mangaged directory, then incremental.

Backed up System Partition a second time, selecting managed directory, then incremental.

All appears as expected up to this point.

On THIRD time (exceeding 2 file limit) Acronis progress appears to stall just before finishing backup operation (49% w/ verification; 98% w/ no verification), then many many minutes later, there are TWO NEW FILES in the managed directory replacing ALL previous files: A new full image + a new incremental image BOTH WITH SAME DATE AND TIMEo_O? I have verified that the base file AND the incremental file have both been replaced/changed based on MD5 hashing. During this third backup procedure, the directory shows the original two files, a third incremental label ending D3, and a temporary file, with the D3 created first. When done, the original "D" and "D2" are gone, and the new files have been renamed to "D" and a "D2."

Is this documented behavior? When the Recovery wizard is run, it shows the previous date/time for what it labels the "full" backup and the new date/time for the incremental. Is it possible that Acronis is merging the previous Full with the previous Incremental into a new Full (base), so that the new incremental represents the changes since then? Fantastic if true and reliable. But color me skeptic until I learn otherwise.

Thanks,

SP

2. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

Yes, this is what happens, but the next incremental created will cause the merged file to be deleted.

3. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

In this managed folder, the file limit is TWO (for testing purposes).

And, actually, it appears that each time a new incremental is created, the current (last-most) incremental (only one) is merged with the current full to create a new full, along with the then new incremental.

Does this sound right? Not efficient to do only a daily basis as it takes lotsa time.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Since the use of incrementals requires the full backup and all the previous incrementals, what other option would you suggest?

5. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Not sure how much of this thread you're responding to. I'm trying to verify ATI 10's operations of managed directories from observed behavior. Then clarifying D.Chatten's use of "delete" by observing that rather than only a deletion of the previous full, a new merged full is created.

Got any systematic observations or documentation to add to this discussion?

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

So, you would have the creation of an INC backup image delete the FULL it was based on? Then what? Create another FULL instead, thus losing the ability to go back and restore from any previous INCs?
    You seemed to be surprised by the way TI is functioning and all I did was ask how you would have it function. And what do I get? Good luck to you …

"Is this documented behavior?" It's in the User Guide.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YOu have a file limt of 2 and doing incrementals. If you try to do another incremental, that will exceed the file limit you set and since an incremental set can be missing any pieces, ATI cannot just delte the preveious incremental but must have a new full backup and a new inc. Merging the older inc with the full seems an economical way to do it. That seems correct to me.

8. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

With a file limit of two the sequence should be something like this, FULL > INC > MERGE & CREATE NEW FULL > INC & DELETE MERGED > MERGE & CREATE NEW FULL > INC & DELETE MERGED, and so on, this is so the file limit never exceedes the limit of two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.