conflicting firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Xaq, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

My House, it's on that street with the thing
    Hi everybody, I'm new to this site and had a small question.

I recently downloaded Kerio personal firewall version 4.0 (free). As I attempted to install it a notice came up the said it could possibly conflict with my Zone Alarm free version (I love freebies :D) and that it was recommended that i remove it.I just wanted to know if I could possibly keep both of these firewalls and that it was just recommended that I uninstall Zone Alarm or if it is nessacry to unistall Zone Alarm to avoid major system errors.

Thanks,

Xaq

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi Xaq,

Let me welcome you to Wilders, :)

It is never a good thing to keep TWO firewall running actively, at same time in the same machine. Make your choice as which one you would want to keep, (Zone alarm being program-concerned which means you can control which programs you want to allow access to internet or not, etc OR Kerio being rule-based which means you make your own rules about what is going to happen in your computer, inbound and outbound) and then uninstall the other.
    Moreover, It is advisabe to give a shot at kerio 2.15X than Kerio 4, as I was adviced by some experts.
    Wait for some more opinions regarding that. But TWO firewall?? NO NO for me.

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Indeed, it isn't even sufficient to just have one running, you must have just one _installed_.
    Even a not running firewall (executable) could have installed drivers which are automatically loaded at windows startup and can conflict with your other firewall.

If you want to try 2 firewalls, try them but not at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.