Configuring SSM with spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cet, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I would like to use system safety monitor with spyware terminator.I disabled HIP in the spyware terminator.But in SSM there are modules like INI files ,services.Do I have to disable them(don't want to use the same function in both programs).In ST : services and INI files are listed under Real Time Shield.
    The thing I want to learn is how to configure ssm with ST.Are the modules in SSM work different than ST or should I disable one of them.Thanks.
    Antivir PE
    spyware terminator real time on HIP off
    jetico 1.0.1.61
    SSM free
    Win XP sp2 updated

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Leave it all on and hit learning mode in SSM and give it a go for a few days until it learns all your movements.

dja2k

3. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I guess I'm wondering why you would have two apps running taking up CPU and memory that are performing overlapping tasks. If they are monitoring or protecting the same areas, it would seem redundant and unnecessary. The reason I say this is that I learned the hard way not to have overlap with security software. I spent a lot of times answering pop-ups from both programs. Also, there was another instance where the two programs began fighting - one would make a change, and the other would change it back - then the other one would pop back up blockings its change, and so forth. I know there are people who run a whole lot of stuff because it makes them feel safer, I guess, but multiple apps doing the same job takes up needed resources unnecessarily. Minimal apps is the way to go, as more doesn't necessarily mean better, and too many sometimes just get in the way. Just make sure you have all your bases covered. Personally, the setup I use is NOD32 (which has caught more trojans than my dedicated trojan programs, which no longer run resident), Comodo firewall (in which I've disabled some of the HIPS functions that overlap with SSM), and SSM free with addtional registry keys added. That's it. I also use several other AS programs for scans only, although that has been a waste of time, as I haven't had any crapware on my computer for a long, long time. I do find an occasional cookie (from having to use IE at some websites for other than simple browsing purposes), but also using an alternate browser (Opera) as my primary browser has kept all the garbage off that IE allows in. As long as you have your bases covered, you don't to be running a bunch of stuff that drags your system down.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I used ST for a while, but I was getting some french sounding tool bar in the allowed list. Weird. Otherwise, it was a great program. Low memory usage , no slowdown, denied all spyware (except for the above, oui).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.