Computer switches itself on

Discussion in 'hardware' started by John Bull, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I must apologise if this question is not new, but I really would appreciate somebody giving me the answer.

Problem :-
    I use Windows 2002 XP Home with SP3 and only shut it completely down when I have definitely finished computing.
    All other times I use Hibernate and it works fine. All my data is stored if needed and it simply lays dormant until I hit the power button and away it goes.

I do not go to bed early and often it is on Hibernate until 1.00,2.00, or even 3.00 am, when I shut it down.

I find very often that late night it switches itself on for no apparent reason. I am caught unawares and suddenly see that the computer is on and do not know how long it has been.

The other night I was just about to shut it down at 1.00 am and it just came to life in front of my eyes. I suspect that 1.00 am is a trigger time in this.

The only updating program I have that could be suspect is AVG9.

Question :-
    WHY ?

John Bull

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Check the power management section in your bios. Maybe a setting for Wake-On-USB...or Wake-on-Lan like it was suggested before?

4. John Bull

I had no idea that my XP had built-in default schedules as part of the Windows system. This problem has been with me a long time and only really came to light when I started to use Hibernate, which again is a long time ago.

I am absolutely sure that what you say is the cause. My AVG9 is OK.

My Device Manager has been checked and the Wake up on Standby box for the Network adapter was not enabled.

I checked the scheduled tasks and there are 3 - Disk Defrag - Disc Clean up - Tune up Application Start. The first two I have disabled and the last have left since I don`t know what this is and if it is safe to kill. All wake-up boxes have been unchecked.

There were days and months set, which accounts for the problem not being every night but only now and again.

I will keep an eye on these matters and feel sure you have got my problem fully pinned down.

Thank you for your posts, it seems such a tiny thread when it only needs two posts to resolve, but it sure gave me an answer that i have been puzzled about for years.

John Bull

5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I would guess that you have a PC tune up application that had been installed in the past that wants to automatically tune the PC according to its schedule. I doubt very much that turning this off will harm your PC but its easy enough to find out. Image the drive and then turn the scheduled task off. If something goes wrong restore the drive. If the more likely scenario plays out and everything is fine your golden.

I hope this helps.

6. John Bull

Everything said so far helps and I greatly appreciate it.

Looking on the net, I find many people have had the problem I posted about.
    Answers vary, some advise the measures you have stated and others glibly say to access BIOS, but they do not say how to do this or what to do when you get it. The assumption is made that everybody on Planet Earth knows what BIOS is and what to do with it when you get it - well I don`t for a start. Just a set of syllables to me.

When I ask the net how to access BIOS, there is no definitive answer. You have to press F1, F2, F£ CTRL or DEL or whatever comes into mind at the time, when you see that few seconds flash on logon, if you are quick enough - God, if they do not know how to do it themselves, why try to tell somebody else how to do it ?

So I will ask my obliging friends here :-

1. What on Earth is BIOS ?
    2. How do I access it ?
    3. What am I supposed to do when I get it ?

John Bull

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

:D

1. First start here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-beginners,1126.html .
    Propably your bios interface will look like this
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/AwardBIOS_CMOS_Setup_Utility.png
    or http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/09/22/bios_for_beginners/bios-power.jpg
    2.At the initial boot screen of the pc there is a message (at the bottom line) that displays the key you need to press to enter your bios.

3. You should look at the "Power Management Setup" tab and modify it according your needs.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bios-beginners,1126-8.html

Then use the "save and exit" option and you are done.

Panagiotis

8. John Bull

Thanks Pandlouk, I had a look at your links and then had a go.

The key for BIOS on my box is DEL. Up came BIOS and from then on I can with my limited knowledge at present, take advantage of changing settings.

I went into Power Management and had a browse. I changed nothing but got the experience of potential.

What I am looking for as per this thread is anything to do with WAKE-UP, I intend to disable those items and will return to BIOS later.

BIOS does look like it is susceptible to the danger of "A bull in a China shop".
    I`ll be careful.

This thread never had a long life span, a couple of posts and it is all over, but those posts have supplied me with information I never had and solved my problem.

I thank you and the other posters very much for responding so kindly and precisely.

John Bull

9. John Bull

I would like to thank all posters on this thread for the information given.

Since I actioned the suggestions made here and killed all "wake up" elements I could find, my computer has never again sprung to life at mid-night out of it`s hibernation slumbers and had an uncontrolled jolly in the early hours.

Problem solved and a big thanks to you all. THAT problem has been bugging me for years. I thought it was a poltergeist.

So you see how Wilders provides a variety of help to PC stumble-bums like me the world over and is not always used as a platform for a personal bun-fight.

John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.