Computer Memory Storage Disk question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I didn't know a proper title to put for this question of mine but I assumed what I put, people will know what I mean :)

I am just wondering... I heard this from a friend today: computer memory storage disks. Wondering what they are and how are they made? And do they get erased when a reformat is done to a hard drive or not?

Thanks everyone.. hope someone can tell me some information.

Gracie :)

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I believe what you are refering to is "solid state drives". Basically disk drives that use memory chips instead of disk platters to store the information. Solid state drives range from the cheap USB flash drives, to the very fast and very expensive RAM drives.

Here are some reviews that you can read:

Flash Drives

A DRAM Hard Drive For Professional Apps

3. gracie123

Hi There :),

Oh ok... well, are the things I do on my computer which is nothing more than playing games, talking to friends on Yahoo! Messenger and surfing the Web recorded on these "solid state drives" and if they do... does that information get erased with a reformat or?

Thanks...

Gracie

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Gracie,

You do not need to format these drives. You just plug them in and they are immediatly accessible. Formatting is only required for hard disk drives. The files on these drives are accessed in the same way though. So you can create, modify, and delete files like you do with a reqular drive.

5. gracie123

Oh ok I see, well thank you for your help Close_Hauled :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.