Computer magazine subscription

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bio-Hazard, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I would like to subscribe a computer magazine so what computer magazine would you recommend and Why?

Thank you!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: Computer magazine subscribtion

What do you want to read in the magazine?

I subscribe to Maximum PC, a computer magazine geared toward enthusiasts and gamers. They review games, individual hardware, and computers. The optional CD usually has games as well as utilities.

I also have a couple issues of Smart Computing. Its a good magazine to learn about computers in general and it provides lots of tips.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have no experince with UK computer mags. (IMO, some of the best magazines in the world are UK edited.)

In the USA, I subscribe to PC World and PC Magazine. PC World is MUCH better IMO. More stories of general PC-based interest, more articles about programs to get the best out of your PC, excellent self help articles, etc.

PC Magazine just went from a bi-monthly schedule to a monthly one. IMO, the twice monthly schedule and Neil Rubenking were the only thing they had going for them. I beginning to think I may end up dropping them. The last issue (the 25th anniversary one) with all the guest written articles about the next 25 Years in Tech was an utter and complete waste of paper...

4. Bio-Hazard

I want to read reviews of hardware and software. Also learn few tricks and tips.

5. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

IMHO the best PC magazines are from Germany. If you know German try PcWelt and Chip.

6. Bio-Hazard

I unfornately dont speak german, but thanks for the suggestion.

7. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

:doubt: , I know PcPro from UK

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Upon reflection, I do know of a UK magazine that I have read quite a bit. PCUtilities http://www.magnesiummedia.com/pcutilities/ They offer several hints, how-to's and they bundle a free DVD with each issue that has tons of freeware and a few shareware apps on it. Worth a look!

9. Bio-Hazard

Thanks for that,i havent heard of that before. I will look into it!

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I wouldn't recommending subscribing to a magazine because you can read nearly any computer related article online. Magazines have lost a ton of readership (such as Time, Newsweek, TV Guide). Since you can get the information paperless, why bother to subscribe and then pile up a large stack of magazines IMHO?

12. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Because it's still enjoyable to be away from the computer in a comfortable chair and read a magazine with soft music and a hot drink. :-*

13. Bio-Hazard

I did think about that. I do have one problem....i have problems reading things from the screen so thats why i rather use a magazine. It is just easier for me. You are right i can get any information online if needed.

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Reading books and magazines I like to do in a comfortable chair and not from the screen.
    That said I am subscribed to C'T magazine (Dutch version) and I buy the German version in the bookshop.
    Afaik there is no English version. It offers more indepth information than regular magazines and much less advertisement.
    Apart from this I buy every now and then Chip and PCWelt.
    My €0.02

Gerard

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

LONG time since I read computer magazines, as I get my news and reviews off the web and forums.
    Heres the 3 I used to read:

PC Format - Good all round magazine, blend of apps and games, geared towards home user with a little office user, geared up to beginner/intermediate users. I bought the mostly when I was new to PCs. But after a while I found it a little too superficial.

PC Plus - Bit more of a geeks magazine this one, more technical (good mix of home and office). My most regular PC magazine purchase.

PC Pro - Great hardward and software reviews, but geared up towards office use. I bought this when I was shopping for hardware.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

PC Pro labeled AVG FREE Edition as the best software of the year, aswell as Firefox.

ive always liked computeractive as a good solid magazine.

its only £25 for 26 issues i think if you subscribe. (fortnightly)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  17. Bio-Hazard

Thank you C.S.J. Have you ever read Pc Advisor or PC answers?

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your welcome, and no i havnt.

i always stick to computeractive, fortnightly which i prefer, and a whole lot cheaper which is always good :)

each mag is usually 100-120 pages.

19. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

PC answers is part of the future PLC group who specialize in targeted interest magazines and websites for people who share a passion. PC answers is very much a broad spectrum xp/vista magazine with the emphasis on hardware.

Windows vista is a general knowledge magazine and a good all rounder and the windows xp magazine covers both vista and xp and there again is a general question and answers all rounder. Windows XP and PC answers normally come with a cover disk each month

All three magazine's are available locally in any good newsagent or WH Smith in the UK

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Exactly. I mainly enjoy reading about the new stuff and looking at the pictures in my PC World magazine. Some of the articles about working with software are good too. I figure if I learn one new thing from an issue I got my money's worth.:D

21. Bio-Hazard

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I think i have found my magazine. I use to read PC answers before so i will go with that.

22. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

check out CPU (Computer Power User) magazine, publisher produces 3 similar computer magazines....

we get some of your excellent UK computer magazines at the newstand here,
    but they are too expensive for me- about $15 each, but they look better than
    the computer magazines over here do..

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, ive just renewed mine :)

computeractive.jpg

£24.95 for 26 issues = 96 pence for issue (delivered!)

cant grumble.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

That's my choice too C.S.J.

Great magazine, good info and seems to have a lot of offers for free software to readers that end up on forum posts!!

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its not just that,

the magazine is no different to any other, apart from it being written in 'plain-english'

yet it retails at a whole lot cheaper, with no gimmicks such as cds to bump up the price.

and i like that its fortnightly, because i have no patience for anything. :)

96p an issue, surely 50p of that is delivery price by the Royal Mail?

its crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.