Computer crashes on plugging in speakers

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by psingh, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psingh

psingh Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Recently, ive noticed that my computer keeps on crashing (i.e. it freezes or blue screen appears) when i plug/inplug my speakers into my laptop socket (green lead) and in cases when I interchange between speakers and headphones. I have had this configuration (all latest drivers from manufacturer website) for a year and no problems and I suspect some form of malware. Can somebody please help me on this.

Any comments appreciated

P Singh

P.S. I have nod32 version 3

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Do you have the Realtek HD Sound Effect Manager that has a pop-up in which you can select what you just plugged in?

3. psingh

psingh Registered Member

No i dont have this and also I dont get a popup when I plug the speakers into the laptop. I have standard sound and drivers provided by the manufacturer (fujitsu siemens). I have labtec speakers (labtec pulse 285) and they came with no cd.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is very possible that the sound card is defective. Is the comp. still under Warranty??

5. innerpeace

Thanks, I just built a new computer and was having a similar problem that I figured out, but it had to do with Realtek software. You might check your computer manufacturers site and see if they have a forum or other support.

If you still think it may be malware, you could download the free version of SuperAntiSpyware and do a full scan with it. http://www.superantispyware.com/

6. psingh

psingh Registered Member

My laptop is about 2 years old (fujitu siemens L7320) and it has ac97 soundcard from realtek (Audio Realtek ALC655 driver - provided by manufacturer)

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  7. innerpeace

Hi psingh,

I see that you posted at the manufactures forum. Hopefully you will get an answer soon.

I'm not sure how similar our audio software is, but you could try this fix which helped me. Click Start and go into "Control Panel". Double click on the Realtek audio/sound manager icon. Under the "Audio I/O" tab it says "Analog" and to the right is a little wrench button. Click that button and a box pops up. In that box, make sure "Disable front panel jack detection" and "Enable auto-popup dialog, when device has been plugged in" are both unchecked. It may not hurt to uncheck the other box about muting the rear panel output... If there are other "auto sensing" entries you could also uncheck them. Click OK and then click OK to close the MSI and then reboot and see if that helped.

If that didn't help or your settings are different, you could try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.