Companies that provide free licenses to beta testers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by veri, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veri

veri Registered Member

What companies have a reputation for this? I've seen a few posts here and there that make reference to such, so I'm kind of curious.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Many companies if they don't give a free license, provide a means for you to run the software without paying. One example is Kaspersky.

But be very aware, this also carries a risk. There is no guarantee that any particular build of a beta you install wouldn't in essence trash your system, and you need to have an excellent recovery plan in place. I know in most of the stuff I beta test for, if you don't have a recovery plan in place, and something bad happens you will get no sympathy.

If your motivation is the free part, I'd forget it and move on. If you enjoy testing, and can recover from disasters, then dive in and join the fun.

Pete

3. veri

veri Registered Member

What means might that be, beyond trials?

And nah, I'm covered AV-wise for the foreseeable future, but I am running ESSb1 at the moment, complete with file backups and a freshly-made disk image.

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

atleast CA people give free 1-yr license to every beta-tester....ir-respective of their contribution..

Kaspersky,trend-micro do give free licenses but to beta-testers who make "serious" and meaningful contribution during their beta process..

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

A-Squared, Agnitum, Online Armor, Avira, BitDefender, Grisoft, Norman, Safe'n'Sec, System Safety Monitor, etc, offer free licenses to active beta testers...

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

wow,i never knew so many of these co's give free license...

7. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

And also Sunbelt...

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

VBA32 also gives a license during the beta times, and being a continuous contributer you may also get a license at a discount or for free. :)

9. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Remember the key word in there is "active". Just grabbing copies of builds and chatting up the messageboards won't necessarily get you free software.

Having said that, if free is concern, why not just get some of the free security tools that are out there - Many are very high quality products, and there's numeous threads on this forum that detail configurations.

10. veri

veri Registered Member

I know, and I've used much of the free stuff out there - I was just curious.

11. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Fair enough, and I hope my post didnt come across mean, I just know that many vendors are strict about the freebies! :D

12. veri

veri Registered Member

No worries - I'd imagine that they are. There's a good chance that I'll go with ESS even if I have to pay the upgrade fee from my two-year with v2.7, but I figured I'd ask. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.