Comodo & Thunderbird

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Ox, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ox

The Ox Registered Member

The following message is more an FYI to those in the Internet community.

I spent the last two days to restore functionality to my E.mail boxes in Thunderbird, following consistent and recurring crashes of Thunderbird, at the moment it began to PoP mail. :mad:

Some elemental aspects to consider: Using Win XP/MCE/SP3. Using Avast as the AV package of choice, and up until July 8-10, I was using ZoneAlarm as the Firewall of choice. I am using Thunderbird ver. 2.0.0.14 (20080421). The problem began when something broke ZoneAlarm functionality. I have since come to find that this may have been a particular Windows update <KB951748> that caused the break.

At that point, uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and installed COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.25.378. On top, decided to also go with COMODO' BOClean & SecureEmail as options. After installation, Thunderbird became unstable an non-functional; for every time Thunderbird attempted to initiate either PoP/IMAP, it would crash. :argh: I then proceeded to scour the net for known issues with COMODO products and Thunderbird. COMODO and THUNDERBIRD fora were not helpful. Subsequently, I initiated a process analysis.

I will spare you from the details of the analysis. The SHORT story is that using a combination of SecureEmail and COMODO' Firewall Pro, proved to be troublesome on my machine. I proceeded to UNINSTALL COMODO Firewall Pro, BOClean and SecureEmail. Thunderbird still showed no prospect of functionality. I uninstalled and re-installed Thunderbird, which also proved to be a futile track.

It turns out that SecureEmail had deep registry hooks, as did the COMODO' firewall, which did not go away with the uninstalls. :thumbd:

Methodically, I rid the registry <kids, don't try this at home without adult supervision> from COMODO hooks, and reboot the system. This breathed life back into Thunderbird, again.

I post this here with the hope that someone will be helped by my experience.

2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Thanks, CFP, BOClean (since uninstalled) and Thunderbird work(ed) for me. Not so sure about SecurEmail, I've never used it.

However, if anyone else is having problems and want to simply and completely uninstall CFP they may want to try Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode

3. The Ox

The Ox Registered Member

Hello Everyone....

This is an update to the COMODO/BOClean/SecureEmail fiasco! As of last night, SecureEmail still has hooks into the registry, which I have not been able to remove in a tidy way.

Attempting to remove the registry entries directly related to SecureEmail screws-up network functionality, specifically, it interferes with the .net framework somehow. I have not studied the problem. :(

Comodo forums are strangely silent about the whole thing. This maybe the price that someone will have to pay in trying new things. But, SHAME on Comodo for releasing that which I term to be primordial 'alpha-ware'! :thumbd:

Lastly, my disk-usage has gone-up significantly since this has happened. I would guesstimate at this point that the whole system is being slowed down by at least 35 - 40% because of disk utility. I would like to know, who the brilliant people were, who tested this, before releasing it as BETA2!

<The Ox - sharpening horns>
    Would like to have a private chat with those blokes in a closed room.
    </The Ox - sharpening horns>

Incredibly disappointing to see that the state of coding is not improving in companies, particularly those who seem to want to strive to be #1!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.