Comodo passes all leak tests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by drmjx, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olap

olap Registered Member

Now, when you run test with "cmd.exe" Jetico answerer see my post #43,#44

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi neonSurge,
    I have just installed Comodo (latest Beta), but am getting exactly the same results (running bitadmin for the download) as I did with Jetico. Should there be some alert from Comodo?

3. neonSurge

neonSurge Registered Member

Hi stem,

It should show some popup like this.

Attached Files:

• bits.GIF
      bits.GIF
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi neonSurge,.. Thanks,.. but no alert here at the moment. I will try a re-installation

5. neonSurge

Hi Stem,

I am not using the BETA by the way. 2.2.0.11 is my version. I dont know if beta has this ability or not. You can try to add another JOB than firewallleaktester.com site. It may be because that site is down.

J

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Could you explain what bitsadmin is please. I had a quick look around and this seems to apply to XP and Server 2003.

I think with my Win 2k it is not applicable.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi neonSurge, The beta is not picking this up, have just sucessfully downloaded a file. I have a version 2 somewhere (what version was this "bits" protection applied?)

8. neonSurge

Hi Stem,

The version 2.2.0.11 of Comodo should detect this.

J

9. olap

olap Registered Member

hi,neonSurge, say correctly what succeed when you clik "Allow" (refer to post #78]

10. neonSurge

Hi Olap,
    I am afraid I did not get your question. You mean when you press "Allow", it goes and downloads the file ofcourse if it is what you ask. But let me try and post the result.

J

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

BITS: Background Intelligent Transfer Service... Yes it is in W2K (pro version anyway) : start menu / settings / control panel / administrative tools / services / Background Intelligent Transfer Service

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks,

13. neonSurge

When you press "Allow" button, ot does not ask you any further. This is when svchost.exe has FULL access right.

J

14. olap

olap Registered Member

This is all story, with Jetico and Olap.rule, is identical if you "Allow" or "Deny" test not pass. Do you understand now difference!
    potential malwares for example first create only job, and your schost.exe resume this job
    by next win update without firewall alert!

and read this:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Stem. Was set to manual and not running - now disabled.

16. neonSurge

What do you expect? It is asking you and you approve? Should it still block?
    You are still at the same point. We are not talking about restricting IP addresses. The scope of this test is that the firewall must alert me about the guilty application. And svchost.exe is not guilty here. bitsadmin.exe is the guilty application and Comodo warns you giving the exact activity details(Not mentioning about other detailed popups ).

BITS service is not just used for microsoft updates. Many new software will also use it since it is started being documented.

Here is another quote for you :

The perfect personal firewall would be inexpensive and easy to install and use, would offer clearly explained configuration options, would hide all ports to make your PC invisible to scans, would protect your system from all attacks, would track all potential and actual threats, would immediately alert you to serious attacks, and would ensure nothing unauthorized entered or left your PC." Jeff Sengstack, PC World, July 21, 2000.

J

17. neonSurge

Ofcourse. Thats another topic and more suitable if we talk about "How to harden the security of your PC" or "Good practices for hardening your PC". This is not just valid for Jetico but all other firewalls. You can start another topic in which your olap rules are presented in a generic form so that all of us can use in our own firewalls.

Good luck,

J

18. olap

olap Registered Member

Every firewall, coming with a rule for svchost which allows ports 80 and 443 to every IP, can be bypassed.
    I know this very well!

Good luck, to you too!

19. neonSurge

I think you have problems understanding english. Stop rambling on and read Message #48, 51, 57, 74.

What other answer are you waiting? Should I put flowers beside the messages?

If you are not satisfied from the answer, please restate your question.

20. olap

olap Registered Member

not from you! is OK?

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To All:

There definetly seems to be a problem with failing to communicate for whatever reason. Unfortunately it has also reached a point that splitting off of the Jetico off topic discussion from the original topic concerning Comodo passes all leak tests would not serve the members well.

Having said that....I'll repeat what was asked of earlier by a Moderator....Lets try to keep the replys civil please. If this can not be accomplished and if We still continue with the I wait demanded answer type posts....We'll have to consider this thread for closure or at the least start removing posts.

This can be a very inlightening thread and with co-operation it might be able to continue.

Bubba

22. olap

olap Registered Member

Hi, neonSurge and all, answer to your post

Read this an you can see that svchost.exe is only guilty here!

And I must say, Comodo with default rules how I see from Stem "Attached Images" not pass
    this abuses, certain!

Have Fun..

23. neonSurge

Just in time... I can not feel happier:)
    They have released a new leak test, which, most probably, uses BITS service(though I am not sure) and with your so-called OLAP rule, jetico failed. It simply opens the web browser and send data. Are you going to restrict IP addresses for the web browser Olap?

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,737.0.html

Now you have fun.

J

24. neonSurge

Test and see if it fails or not...

This discussion ends here for me...

J

25. olap

olap Registered Member

Repost this test I have not access!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.