Comodo Internet Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by minacross, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3xist

3xist Guest

No worries! :) Welcome to the club. :D

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
    Josh

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Considering how vehemently Melih often states about the need for free security,it'd mean a huge 'about face' and consequent loss of credibility if he were to back-track on that commitment anytime soon,especially for a business based on trust.I really can't see it happening.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

they already have a paid version of CIS, but they also have the completely Free version to, which is perfectly good for users who know what to do, the Paid version gives u remote virus removal, etc. more support basically, which for the average customer is a good thing.

4. andyman35

The proposed changes should make CIS far easier to use for all levels of technical ability.

5. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Hi
    Do you get conflicts? If one is installed and only on demand will its mere installation cause a conflict?

6. 3xist

3xist Guest

On-Demand won't hurt but 2 AV's running in real time will.

Cheers,
    Josh

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The average user would still have to deal with Defense+ alerts.

I really believe that Comodo should implement (I think they will in days, yet, to come.) a virtualization/sandboxie environment within the package, and make of Defense+ a tool less intrusive, and I'm not mentioning advanced protection settings unticked, as it happens now, with the default installation.

I know that there's people who wish to have control of what happens in their system, so why not, perhaps two releases? One already optimized for the average user, who knows nothing about how to answer to most of alerts. One other to those who wish full control, as it happens with the existing version.

Bottom line: Comodo Internet Security (due to Defense+) is only as good as the user behind it. And even an advanced user, may, sometime, make a mistake. It needs to be way lot usable by the great % of people, that if were faced with Defense+, they would lose their sanity.

8. 3xist

3xist Guest

The Cure/Virtualization Aspect is in going to be integrated after the following up beta hopefully. The next beta version due out soon is a huge step towards usability changes, with the 1 million whitelisted executables and all. CIS v4 for example will let a user have almost ZERO pop ups and have best security, and an option for all the pop ups you want and best security. That's what Comodo is aiming for to have the best Security, Prevention as first line of Defense and usable.

Next beta you will see the step towards usability, lots of new exciting stuff in that one. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

9. david banner

david banner Registered Member

what other ways?

10. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

When installing Comodo it offers to install some other warez.

11. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Loool

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

13. progress

progress Guest

Is there any way to get Comodo Defense+ without Firewall / Antivirus? :blink:

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Let's first sat that CFP is a great, let me repeat great FireWall/HIPS.

But making an AntiVirus is a different ball game. Remember it is the second or third try (version two never came out of beta) of Comodo.

Off course I would welcome a great free AntiVirus and I think that Comodo has the money, manpower and dedication to do it ultimately :D .

Only Comodo is not very precise in their communication, see last paragraph of http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333815,00.asp, so I am going to try CIS 3.9 as only defense on my son's vista64 gaming rig (because of its good performance and because Vista64 is not a popular OS therefore it not the first target of malware writers and we have no valuable data on that rig)

Regards Kees

(hope Josh reads this ;) )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  15. andyman35

The 12 months might have been optimistic but I've few doubts that once the AV matures alongside the other enhancements (BOclean,CIMA + Time Machine integration),this suite will be up there challenging the best.

16. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi Kees.

I hope I didn't create a war with you mate... You are a good guy and I have respect for everyone here. :)

@ance: You can't totally not have D+. But you can disable it... What Comodo is doing is different from others AV. They will have AV, Heuristics & Defense+ And they are working there way to make D+ Usable, and it will become more and more usable. AV's alone only rely on detection, And Comodo is trying to change that way for people to use Prevention as first line of Defense (Defense+) Then 2nd line Antivirus/Heuristics. CIS v4.0 will be yet another big milestone!

And No, Comodo AV is not a Top AV..... Yet.... ;)

Cheers,
    Josh

17. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

@ 3xist

Do you know when will CIS be tested and when we will have some results.

Have anyone is using additional HIPS besides comodo D+ and if it is using, which one?
    Is it possible to use two HIPS, and would second HIPS interfere with D + ?

@Kees1958

I see that you have great expertise :cool: with HIPS, so maybe you could provide some detailed info.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1398495&postcount=42

Same question about behavioral blockers. Is anyone using them side by side with D+ and could be some possible conflict?

Thanks.

18. andyman35

I use Mamutu alongside D+ without a single issue.

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I too.

20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i used to use these both and never had a problem before.

21. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

firzen771,blacknight and andyman35,

Thank you for your feedback and replies .

22. andyman35

You're welcome Mate:thumb:
    I forgot to mention that I used to run Threatfire alongside D+ a while ago,again with no problems.

23. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Let me put it this way, with classical hips you dont need a behaviour detector, if used wisely you can't go wrong but if you add another hips in your case bb you can jeapordize the full functioning of both apps

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think just haviang a hips is more than enogh and been noticed that the behabiour blockers are not that smart at all plus there aren't to many BB around;) always when i test malware the hips jumps first then the BB and that may be too late,they are too quiet that dont recognize malware;)
    i also noticed escially with threatfire that when i am testing malware they are very silent and when i install legit programs threatfire give lots of pop ups:D
    what happen?i had thraetfire tested with spyblaster in level 5 and threatfire didnt give a single pop up and when i install spyware doctor it told me it was malicius and tried to block ito_O

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

That is exactely what turned me off bigtime in CH, lots of popups for non malicious widely used programs and then miss out on real malware i mean cmon thats just plain bizarre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.