Comodo Internet Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by minacross, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

what do you think about it? (performance wise) o_O

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I don't use the AV, just the firewall. And for that, i can't complain. Maybe it has an almost tiiiny lag compared to say Kerio 2, which was blazing fast, but most people wouldn't notice.

Also, considering that it is also a HIPS, they 've done a remarkable job with resources. This is from 14:38 (of yesterday) to 10:29 of today, with p2p program always running. The total CPU time is extremely low considering how demanding p2p is.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9607/95529472fw1.png

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/4887/96332619tt5.png

I can guarantee you that there aren't many firewalls out there that can show so low CPU usage after so many hours of p2p. This version is also problem-free for me.

Also D+ has matured quite a bit now and notice no particular system lag.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Very low needed resources. :thumb:

4. 3xist

3xist Guest

Performance wise CIS is one of the lightest suites out there. Using about 9MB RAM all up atm.

Cheers,
    Josh

5. minacross

minacross Registered Member

what about detection-wise o_O

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Maybe someday but not very good right now, from the little I've heard.

7. jlo

jlo Registered Member

From my experience of submitting malware to VirusTotal and there own automatic sandbox malware analaysis tool there detection is not very good at all.

Although as others have said the defence Plus HIPS module is excellent, however you have to rely on the user to click on deny or accept.

My personal advice would be to go for Comodo Firewall which has the Defence plus module and use alongside a different antivirus product. My father uses it with Antir premium. Seems a really good combo. Great detection and if a nasty should slip through then hopefully Comodo should nab it.

Cheers

Jlo

8. Fuzzfas

Considering that the addition of the av module is quite recent, i wouldn't expect miracles from it. I don't think there are any official tests on its capabilities either.

But, IMHO, if you are using D+ with all settings on, you probably can live with Comodo's AV too. I would have an on demand scanner from the freebies just in case. If memory serves me, Avast free can be run on demand, without background processes running all the time.

Now, for people that aren't familiar with classical HIPS, so to take advantage of D+, i wouldn't advice the use of Comodo's AV though. (Or comodo for what matters). That's what the various NIS, KIS etc are for.

I think CIS is a great opportunity for knowledgeable users to have a very competent security suite, very lightweight, without paying a single $.

One could also use something like:
    - CIS with D+ at max. (proactive defense).
    - Sandboxie.
    - Common sense in not installing dubious programs.

And i think would be more than fine, at zero cost and very low system impact.

9. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have been using this security suite since it came out of beta and I think it is very good. Very small memory and cpu footprint. (9meg memory with no slow downs). The AV definitions are growing at a rapid rate, in that I feel comfortable to use it along with its FW and hips module as my only security. But if you still feel nervous about the AV, just install the FW and D+ with Avira Free and off you go with great free all around security.

The suite is very powerful and can intimidate certain users when first using it. But I have it running with the Proactive configuration, FW=Safe mode, D+=CLean PC mode and AV=active and have been problem free.

Ice

10. Fuzzfas

Some recent and very optimistic (let's hope also real) comments from Melih, for the imptovement of the antivirus:

Well, what can i say. If they manage to do that, some people in the AV market will suffer a big blow...

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote. I was used to have Kaspersky as av, but I also trust in Defense + in the while that Comodo av will grow. And I use A-Squared ( with Ikarus ) as on demand check.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I like the firewall, and await changes in the AV. But has the certificates debacle shaken anyone's confidence in Comodo?

13. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

mvdu;
    The certificates issue doesn't bother me at this point in time; perhaps it should, but it doesn't

Regarding the OP;
    I like CIS and have it installed in totality on one of my drives running XP.
    I fully expect the antivirus component to evolve into something really good.

-Anyway;

I always install a second-opinion AV, usually Avira Classic unless Avira is my primary AV.
    I'm too paranoid to trust one AV, no matter who's it is !

14. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

The second antivirus is on demand only right? Two antivirus in real time will lead to crashes , BSODS , erros and Armageddon :argh:

15. Fuzzfas

I only read something about this certificate thing in a forum, i m not sure i understand the seriousness of all this.

Anyway, as long as Comodo with D+ obeys my orders, i trust it. For the rest, i have comodo blocked from even phoning home.

I only trust myself 100%. Comodo is giving a good product right now. They must be seen with caution of course, with all those toolbars they try to "offer" during installation. And who knows their future plans. Honestly i find it hard to understand how they are going to manage to maintain a 1st rate IS like they claim they want to, without charging any fee on it. Specially in difficult years that are ahead. Anyway, hats off to them if they manage and in the meantime, big opportunity for us.

16. wtsinnc

That's right, xXDarkStalkerxX;

The second-opinion AV is on-demand only.

17. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

The certificates thing seemed to be a red flag with negligence shown, but I didn't understand completely, either. Guess we should use what we are comfortable with. A free IS with all parts rivaling the paid competition would be wondrous indeed, so I wish Comodo good luck.

18. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

What certificates thing?

19. wtsinnc

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Apparently the AV component of CIS is very close to a huge improvement.I'll be trying out a beta in the next few days.

21. wtsinnc

Thanks for that info andyman35.

Will you be able to discuss in these forums your impressions of the beta ?

-Also-

Do you know if BOClean (or any other feature, for that matter) will be integrated into CIS ?

22. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Please take a look here , 3xist ( Comodo Global Moderator) says all
    http://forums.comodo.com/overview_c...et_security_as_of_december_2008-t31970.0.html

Boclean and Comodo Memory Firewall will be fully integrated in CIS :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  23. Fuzzfas

"Extended Whitelist & Blacklist for the Firewall & Defense - This will provide even greater usability! If the AV in CIS detects a malware for example for blacklisting, D+ will not bother alerting for it. Whitelisting, same thing, theoretically you should not get a D+ Alert. Over 1 million whitelisted executables will be added."

Uhh... Is CIS going to go... into the "clouds" like PrevX and DS, depending on an online database for new executables?

I think i prefer D+ as classical HIPS instead of downloading new "whitelists" all the time. Of course this will make it much easier to use for the masses, i understand the purpose.

* What's "Threatcast"? Sounds like community database thing.

As an optional installation i hope (bloat alert).

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

People really have no clue what bloat is. Bloat means "aditional" features that are not related to original program.
    Like temp file cleaning and registry cleaner in antivirus.
    But when you have additional engine combatring very same thing, thats niot bloat at all. But ppl just throw everything in the same bin.

BoClean is suplimenting AV engine and Memory Firewall is another layer for everything together. Thats not bloat at all, they are just expanding protection vectors just like others do.

25. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I only use firewall and defense plus(HIPS).
    They provide excellent protection.
    COMODO's AV is just OK, but it's not as good as avast! or Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.