COMODO Internet Security 5.3.174622.1216 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Yeah, I don't know. I see that cloud scanning is disabled by default. Think I will enable it.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The cloud only scans unrecognized files on-execution.

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

pabrate,
    I have to agree with igster. The AV doens't add any large amount of resources. THe AV usually catchs the majority of the malware. Occasionally the file gets sandboxed and the cloud scanner gets it. It works well in concert. One doesn't work any better than the other but in concert it works in perfect harmony. ( sorry for the corny relation)

4. TheIgster

So do you have the cloud scanning enabled? Any reason why they disable it by default that anyone knows of?

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

During on-demand scans, they length is significantly longer with cloud scanning enabled. By default, cloud scanning is enabled for on-access.

If you look at Defense + settings/execution control, cloud scanning should be on by default.

6. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

In my case that's all I need.

7. TheIgster

Gotcha...thanks.

8. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

I found an interesting review of the latest Comodo I.S. [v5.3] in regards to malware prevention at YouTube.com. It seems that the author of that review cranked up Comodo's default settings a bit in order to get these results.

After using MBAM, Hitman Pro to see if there were malware leftovers neither one found anything. Very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9BPONNYk_g [1st part runs nearly 15 min]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLymuyn3tMQ&feature=related [2nd part runs about 14 and a half min]

There is no talking in these two videos.

Regards,

Carlos

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

IMO if used correctly, CIS v5.3 can get very very good. Specially it's HIPS :D

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

You do not have to change the default settings to get excellent results. CIS has it's pro and cons, but it protect as good or better than anything else out there.

11. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

CIS with fewer "cons"? Great idea!

12. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

This is a joke right.

If you call destroying the installation of very common programs by causing false positives on the executables they launch as "better than anything else out there", then sure.

I think Comodo is probably these worst of the high-profile AV products in the market today. Its FP-rate just makes it unusable.

Absolutely any other product is better.. Avira, Kaspersky, ESET, Trend, BitDefender, GData, Norton anything.

13. TheIgster

This is a joke right?

I don't get any false positives with Comodo and their AV engine has performed well in every single test I've put it through. Where exactly are you getting your information? Perhaps you could prove your case with some proof?

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Based on signature detections Comodo might be the worst, but i think he was was trying to say that CIS in default (Sandbox, HIPS, Firewall and AV) gives more and better protection than others, which IMO stands true IF used correctly. :D

15. TheIgster

I just don't see it. Sure, the tests I do don't use thousands of pieces of malware, but over and over and over again, the AV in CIS has proven to be better than anything else I test. Over and over and over again.

I simply think that the AV in CIS has gotten a bad name early on and no one can seem to get over it. The AV in CIS is strong. It has proven it in tests I've done (not just what I have posted on my blog) over and over and over again.

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

To the couple of guys bashing CIS, go a watch the YouTube videos at the links provided and then, make up your minds.

Do not judge a book by its cover. If you have had awful experiences with that software in the past [CIS] it not necessarily means that it's garbage and should be dumped in the trash can of the software.

I know there are some people who also have personal issues with the CEO of Comodo Group but, having differences with somebody not necessarily means that everything that comes from that person has to be taken in a negative context.

At work, I have some professional differences with some of my colleagues but I do not allow these differences to translate into personal issues degenerating into hatred.

I was a Symantec user for several years, since 1998 to 2004 or 05' if my memory servers me well and, I couldn't stand their arrogance, their bloated products, their subscription scheme where if you were using Norton 2004 and your subscription had not expired, when they released Norton 2005, you were NOT entitled to get 2005 version for free as it happens with ESET NOD32.

I know that all of this exposed above in regards to Symantec/Norton has changed and their AV is one of the top contenders in the AV arena and they now allow free upgrades to new versions as long as your subscription is still current but, even with all those changes, I would NOT use a Symantec product even if it was given away for free. That's my personal position. It's just matter of preferences.

Now, what I don't do is to visit forum after forum to vent my anger against Norton. I had issues with it in the past, that's right.But... I switched products and chose ESET over Norton. I moved on and, well... life is too short to live it with such a bitterness.

Kind regards,

Carlos

17. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Each has his/her own experience. Clearly mine's not the same as yours. :(

http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/cis-still-talkative-t64904.0.html

to

http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...l-talkative-t64904.0.html;msg466446#msg466446

18. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I think that one should differentiate between AV False positives and Defense Plus alerts which may or may not be valid while considering where the actual fault lies. Personally I have not received an AV False positive ever, but have gotten a questionable D+ alert every now and then.

A current example is JV16 Powertools. Previous versions of this program and CIS have coexisted happily. However Macecraft has just come out with the 2011 version. Installation went well, but when the program was started a D+ box popped up warning of a Buffer Overflow attack. As I knew that the program was not malware, clicking on the Skip in future box resolved any problems.

As CIS certainly liked previous JV16 builds (including 2011 betas), perhaps this was a sloppily coded JV16 build and not really a CIS problem?

19. guest

guest Guest

Melih Abdulhayoglu, Comodo CEO and chief security architect, presenting a LIVE webcast KillSwitch Demo direct from the RSA conference.

Comodo’s CEO Named Entrepreneur of the Year by Info Security Products Guide at Leading Security Industry Conference:
    http://www.itsecuresite.com/securit...-at-leading-security-industry-conference.html

Live Show Tue Feb 15 2011 08:42:25 PM
    http://www.livestream.com/comodotvlive/video?clipId=pla_2f76ade7-8141-4c44-8dc2-ac923002813c
    Live Show Wed Feb 16 2011 07:01:31 PM
    http://www.livestream.com/comodotvlive/video?clipId=pla_62e8e8c6-e291-4623-b488-c5c2e327cb43
    Live Show Wed Feb 16 2011 05:48:15 PM
    http://www.livestream.com/comodotvlive/video?clipId=pla_616c6d63-ad19-4d82-a938-288ea23b5ef1

The release of Killswich and CCE will be soon I think, probably we could see DACS on Comodo Internet Security in 2 or 3 months.

CCE and Killswich: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=291248

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  20. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Well, last few days I was testing various CIS configs against huge number of 0day malware.
    In the end I decided to install complete install in my real system , stock configuration with firewall set on Custom.
    Works great, no slowdowns, resource usage is the same, have no problems at all and to my big surprise no FP's at all.
    Haven't seen any of D+ alerts so far.

Nothing went through against aprox. 100 links with stock config.
    Interesting thing is that without AV , cloud scanner was able to detect few things but it left some malware files on hard drive.
    With AV part installed, there was nothing left.
    I tested it few times just to confirm.
    Same alert (cloud vs AV part) , you click on Clean and with cloud some files are still left on the system, with AV installed there is nothing left.

btw there is no need to tweak anything, with stock installation I really can't see that anything can bypass CIS.
    Of course, pop-ups are minimum, if any.

21. TheIgster

Thanks for your post pabrate. It's nice to see someone else who tried the software and sees it for what it is, as opposed to just coming to some conclusion based on what they "think they know" or "what they have heard".

Glad CIS is working for you. I think it's great and have it on all systems here. Certainly can't beat that FREE price.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha, i currently have full CIS v5.3 installed too, all modules and AV in On Access mode :p

23. guest

guest Guest

I think the On access mode can slow down your pc a bit, the "Stateful" setting, the default one should be enough.

* On Access - Provides the highest level of On Access Scanning and protection. Any file opened will be scanned before it is run and the threats are detected before they are getting a chance to be executed.

* Stateful - Not only is Comodo Internet Security one of the most thorough and effective AV solutions available, it is also very fast. CIS employs a feature called Stateful File Inspection (tm) for real time virus scanning to minimize the effects of on-access scanning on the system performance. Selecting the ‘Stateful’ option means CIS scans only files that have not been scanned since the last virus update - greatly improving the speed, relevancy and effectiveness of the scanning.

http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-155-1091-Real-Time-Scanning.html

If you want to improve the default settings try the Proactive preset:

http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-170-1704-Comodo-Preset-Configurations.html#Proactive_Security

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

How so? I said the program has pros & cons. Is that funny to you? Do you lack reading comprehension?

25. guest

guest Guest

Forget him, he just came to say that Comodo is the worst, only based in his ignorance, smell like a troll.
    Just reading a few lines you can easily notice that he has not use Comodo more than 5 min, or maybe he has never use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.